Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bo-Mar

ErikW

I hate Bo-Mar adjustable sights. I broke another one practicing Saturday, the elevation screw again. Same gun as last year. The broken half of the screw won't come out of the sight base.

Off with the Bo-Mars, on with the Heinies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my last surviving Bo-Mar made it through the section championship, but cleaning it, I found the hinge pin has come loose. Thus, I was inspired to pen the following, with apologies to Liz.

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

I hate thee to the depth and breadth and height

My broken screw can reach, when flying out of sight.

For the ends of loose hinge pins won't stay in place.

I hate thee to the level of every day's

Most urgent need: a blade, a notch, sunlight.

I hate thee freely, as I strive for right.

I hate thee purely, as I miss the As.

I hate thee with the passion put to screws

Elevation, and with my old blind faith.

I hate thee with a hate that seemed to grow

With my lost springs. I hate with the tiny,

Broken screws of all my Bo-Mars; and, with Slant Pros,

I shall but hate thee better after Heinie.

http://www.poets.org/poems/poems.cfm?prmID=1166

• 3 weeks later...

Erik,

How many rounds did you have through the gun when the first Bo-Mar broke?  Did it get sloppy (i.e. no longer tight) before it broke?

Just curious.  Trying to compare notes with my observations, but I only have 20k rounds of experience with Bo-Mar.

Bill

"I sent my slide to Heinie for their fixed sight but they sent it back saying my dovetail is too deep. Wilson is my last chance."

You'll thank the Gun Gods that was the case when you get the Wilson's. I'm tellin' ya man, this is the stuff.

Uh oh I can't put the Wilson in because my elevation screw hole no longer has threads. I'm in big trouble.

Bill I'm not sure about the round count. They were nice and tight and let go without warning. The one that broke in June is the same one that broke last year, and I only used that gun about half the time. Just a few thousand rounds.

I kind of chuckled under my breath and recalled this post when I saw a guy working on his broken Bomar in one of the safe areas at the FGNs.  Something must have changed with their QC because years ago they had a tremendous product.

• 4 weeks later...

My slide, with BE.com-purchased Wilson adjustable sight, is back from Bruce Gray. Tonight my gun will be back together, soon it will be sighted-in, and Sunday it will be putting holes in A zones at a high rate of speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet it was your race blaster in .38 Super or Super Comp or 9x25.  

All I can tell you is that I have had 7 race .45's starting with a basically stock gun in 1979  thru 1986 with a 3 port comp cone bbl gun and 3 carry/IDPA guns and never had a problem with any of them.  Just lucky, great pistolsmith, or slower slide speed, I don't know which, maybe all three, but I have had great success with the BMCS sights by BoMar.  Maybe they now use cheap components and they are a piece of s*** now, not doubting you or any of the other people who post here, just telling you my experience.