Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 big Powder Spillage - every 40 rounds or so...

bearing01

I have and use both a Dillion 1050 and/or Lee Loadmaster and have found this to be an issue for both. I use Hodgen's Varget powder.

I just recently starting loading 223 on the Dillon but have loaded 223 on the Loadmster for quite some time. When I use imperial sizing wax, Hornady one-shot, or my own recipe of Lanolin & alcohol spray, every now and then (every 40-50 rounds or so) it seems that powder will get caught up on the case neck (during the drop) and the case will only half fill with powder. When I index to the next position, half the powder that should have dropp will instead all fall on the shell plate / ram deck. I used to have this problem on the Loadmaster but I overcame the problem by first tumbling the processed brass to remove all traces of case lube. I then removed the decapping/resizing die and always loaded the ammo that way and never got powder spillage. I just started loading 223 on the Dillon and decided to keep the resizer/decapper in place and load lubed brass. I'm getting powder spillage just like I did on the Loadmaster. It appears I will also have to remove the decapper/resizer and remove the case lube for the Dillon as well.

Anyone else out there also experience the same? What is your fix?

Thanks,

John

Edited by bearing01

After sizing you should trim the brass anyway, so tumbling before loading is then available to remove the sizing lube. If you are not trimming after sizing, you will have problems with over-length cases sooner or later...

JJ

Varget is famous for bridging. Some powder measures are worse than others.

As much as I like the performance of Varget, I'd suggest trying Ramshot TAC. It meters better, costs less and you will find it performs quite well.

Same here, but I love Varget.

It only happens 1/200, or so for me and I just blast the press with compressed air, remove the case, and continue.

Seems if I use a controlled slow press, so the powder bar slides into the final spot smoothly, the powder falls in without bridging. It's when I get carried away that it happens.

It takes me like an extra 10 seconds, when it does, so I don't sweat it.

• 1 month later...

Ground your machine, and rub it down with drier sheets. It helps with static, and gives it that spring time fresh smell :)

Seriously though, I HATE using varget with .223 because of that exact issue. My 550 bridges varget like crazy..... And I load inside...... Powder in the carpet is no good! I use h335 and havent looked back. Uses less, cheaper overall.

• 3 months later...