Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34-gen 3 or gen 4

jeremy kemlo

-Gen3 guide rods are easier to replace (lots more aftermarket options vs the Gen 4)

-I prefer the Gen3 slide stop lever (the Gen4 version is extended, which I inadvertently end up hitting, causing my slide to lock up)

-Gen3 guide rods are easier to replace (lots more aftermarket options vs the Gen 4)

-I prefer the Gen3 slide stop lever (the Gen4 version is extended, which I inadvertently end up hitting, causing my slide to lock up)

Just a few notes to add to the above:

* They do make a GEN4-to-GEN3 adapter so that you can run GEN3 RSAs or even aftermarket rods/springs, making the GEN4 pretty versatile

* All G34s/G35s that I have seen come with the extended slide stop lever (even the LEO/GSSF 'blue labels') - it isn't based on a particular GEN # and can easily be replaced with any standard 9mm/.40/.357 lever if the user doesn't like it

When I bought my 'blue label' GEN3 G34 through the GSSF program a few years ago, I was fortunate that it came with the 4.5# connector; many others reported that theirs came with the 5.5# instead. To date, the only 'blue label' G34s that I have seen had either the unmarked 5.5# connector or the newer '.' 5.5# connector in them. I haven't see a commercial/'red label' GEN4 G34 to say if they come with the 4.5# or not.

The GEN4 G34 is larger at the muzzle (to accomodate the new RSA) and several have reported that their old GEN3 G34 holsters do not fit the new GEN4s. I even sent an email to Blade Tech regarding the DOH holster and the lady told me that I would need to specifically order a GEN4 G34 holster if I wanted it to work.

I don't have a GEN4 G34 (it is on my wishlist though) but do have a GEN4 G19 - the grip panels do make a world of difference as you try them out. I actually handle my GEN3 non-SF G20s fine but found that the GEN4 G19 with no additional grip handles really nice. :blush:

Glock does make an 'extended' mag release for the GEN4s - unfortunately I haven't picked one up yet to see how well that works.

I was set on buying a Gen 3 but went with Gen 4 for the following:

1. Back straps - I have big hands the the +4mm is great. The mid size is +2mm from what you will handle in a store (no strap).

2. Extended mag release, easy to hit when needed but not when you don't want to drop a mag compared to the Gen 3 that stuck way out. ( I realize you can change them, but a couple bucks up front is a savings)

3. Extra mag - can always use more mags.

Just my 2 cents

Which one fits your hand better? Are you willing to buy used? Can you get a package deal here?(yes)

I have a tricked out gen 3 for production but when I build a limited gun it will be gen 4

I have a Gen4 G17.

I like the smaller back strap. I had a CZ but I didn't like the weight.

I like the aggressive, but not too aggressive, grip texture.

Mine came with the 'dot' connector, the trigger feels plenty crisp and has smoothed up nice.

The new RSA could disappear in the next Gen and I wouldn't care.

The mag release is nice for production because the long one on Gen3's stabs me something fierce.