Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO's taking phone calls

jdt

Nik:

I respectfully disagree that this is not rhetoric...it is VERY serious. With competitors, as I said, the safety measures are "stacked". We simply do not have that luxury when and if the singular RO on the squad at a local match goes south. Maybe THIS needs adressing as well??? What IF a competitor didn't step up, and the unthinkable happened???(remember...this was a new competitor left to his own devices). We at least need to consider this possibility since it actually came close to happening. Remember...safety first. I am all for giving this gent the benefit of doubt by allowing him to explain himself, and any mitigating circumstances (wife with high-risk pregnancy expecting any day?). However, the fact that he might not answer for his "alleged" actions, through the proper channels makes me furious to say the least (that is actually what bothers me most). I agree with your remedies proposed, but it seems it may never even get to that. I don't like knowing that there is a potential rogue RO out there in need of re-training at a club I could potentially shoot one day. Kind of a russian roulette thing. It is in the best interests of the club as well to correct matters. I don't want to subject my family to an unsafe environment. It is just frustrating to say the least, that someone would put their own goals, and potential gains ahead of the safety of our sport. Not a slam...just an observation based on statements in the thread. Maybe this is getting a bit too heated and we need to lock the thread until some resolve comes of this issue. :(

DVC,

Jeff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We regularly DQ competitors for their brain farts --- many of which could have serious consequences.

However we must (and we do), hold our ROs to a higher standard.

If you're not willing to accept the responsibility, temporary or otherwise, all you need to do is decline to serve. This is not the Military, where you're obliged to follow orders of your superior officer (and even then you retain a "right cf conscience").

In IPSC, I can respect a man for declining to serve as an RO, due to a lack of training, readiness or whatever, but I cannot excuse a dereliction of duty. The very first thing I say at RO Seminars is: "I don't care if you screw up with the rules, but if you want to be excused for screwing up with safety, there's the door".

We regularly DQ competitors for their brain farts --- many of which could have serious consequences.

However we must (and we do), hold our ROs to a higher standard.

Again, we don't know the full story and so we can only comment on what has been posted about the incident.

We need to keep in mind that a squad is putting its safety into the hands of the RO running the stage. That is a big responsibility to accept. If there is something going on in the life of an RO that would require him or her to take a phone call during a match then that RO should stay home by the phone.

We don't have redundant RO's. A lot of bad things could have happened from the time the RO walked away from the line until someone else stepped up. I hope that someone steps up and does whatever is needed to prevent this from happening again.

• 1 month later...

Been reading this older post. very interesting and a bit scary.

Ought to point out RO's who wear cell phones should turn them off or at least on vibrate/ringer off.

I've seen:

Shooter Ready! Stand By! (telephone rings)

Shooter thinks it's the beep and starts shooting.

Same goes for walkie talkies that have a roger beep go off after someone talks.

Ted