Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Transition Drills?

stein

Looking to start practicing with my shotgun a little more. Without investing in a set of steel targets, or making a mess of my range with clays, how would you suggest i run some multi-target transition drills?

Bowling pins? We got a bunch cheap from a local bowling alley for our club. Warning though, make sure you have your eyes on if using cheap light practice ammo. This stuff will come back off the rubber on the pins. Won't kill you but stings like hell!

Steel is cheap - I got four pieces of steel and target stands to go along with it for less than $100.

Get some circular gongs from MGM or Arntzen and go to Lowe's to get shepards hooks to hang them with.

I haven't shot my pistol at them yet (and won't shoot my rifle at them) and I foresee them lasting until they rust to pieces - which will be a very long time since I take care of them.

Edited by DyNo!

Steel is cheap - I got four pieces of steel and target stands to go along with it for less than $100.

Get some circular gongs from MGM or Arntzen and go to Lowe's to get shepards hooks to hang them with.

I haven't shot my pistol at them yet (and won't shoot my rifle at them) and I foresee them lasting until they rust to pieces - which will be a very long time since I take care of them.

What type of Steel and Where?

What type of Steel and Where?

Sorry....shameless plug here: TACCOM Steel

Now, one thing I've always taught for shotgun transision.....assuming the shotgun will be on a table, tube loaded, action closed.

Set the shotgun on the table, ejection port down, now this is the only time the extended bolt handle is a plus (IMHO)as you can almost set the shotgun with the loading port sticking up.

OK....as you grab for the shot gun....DO NOT grab the pistol grip! Grab the forearm with your weak hand, roll the shotgun over to put it in your shoulder and rack the bolt with your strong hand. NOW....grab the pistol grip and shoot! The shotgun should actually be racked and a shell into battery long before it comes to your shoulder.

It is natural to pick up the shot gun, shoulder....then rack the bolt. Just keep thinking....grab the shot with my weak hand....strong hand/bolt, strong hand/bolt, etc. The strong hand should be like a dog waiting for you to throw the ball. Once you do this in practice, you'll know what I mean.

Tim

PS....I used to use bowling pins ALOT....and now I can say that they are one of the single most dangerous targets to shoot at with #7.5 or #8 birdshot.

Edited by TRUBL

• 2 weeks later...

I have a half dozen 4" steel knockovers that help me out with shotgun practice.

They resemble the size of a clay piegon/insure accuracy and weren't very expensive to pick up.

You also don't need an AR 500 or anything super heavy duty for shotgun stuff.

Cheap 3/8 thick A36 works just fine.Just keep it away from the rifles.

Drill holes in them plates and hang them from sheperd hooks.....no re-set = more shooting time

Drill holes in them plates and hang them from sheperd hooks.....no re-set = more shooting time

How about a pic?

making me do another shameless plug? same as on my website.....post-2749-0-17550500-1336879644_thumb.jpThey do a nice dance when you hit them.

I can vouch for how amazing TRUBL's steel is. I took mine out today for the first time and pounded on four 8" plates with 600 rounds of bird, over 500 .22 lr, and snuck in 200 rounds of 9mm without having to put up a single new target all day!

Probably saved myself well over an hour and the steel is still in perfect shape. :bow: All for $100 shipped.

CM

Edited by Clint-M

Damn, those look good! Do they comeWith those stands? Are they rated for a lot of pistol work?

The stands are $8.99 a piece, I believe. I hammered mine into the berms at BOTW (Texas Multigun location) and didn't have any issues with them all day. You'll have to speak with Tim about using pistol on them, he had a few different types of steel and I lucked into some that he said would handle 9mm well. The longest shots I took all day were with pistol but the steel didn't have any dents at the end of the session. I'm confident with proper care and making sure to turn the steel that it'll will handle thousands of rounds of 9mm.

CM

I agree with the less effort more shooting part..but also the interaction and reaction with the falling plate is also a training tool.You see alot of KD plates at matches,and its also good to test effective KD range of your shotgun.

Resetting them is not fun,however breaking away from the gun for that moment to reset can break the concentration enough to "reset" the thought process/muscle memory.

IMO pulling the trigger is 1% of the process to shooting,getting to the point of pulling the trigger is the other 99% that I need to work on.

Super good idea on your plates however!

Aust

Resetting them is not fun, however breaking away from the gun for that moment to reset can break the concentration enough to "reset" the thought process/muscle memory.

I agree but you also need to drill the match environment into your head. And in a match there is dead time, followed by your one opportunity to get it right. I'd say if you aren't visualising your run every time you reset targets, you aren't concentrating enough during practice and it might hinder your match performance.