Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 auto rim?

stryfox

I have a sdb and a 650.

My sdb is set up for .45 acp.

A friend of mine has asked me to look into loading him some .45 auto rim loads for his revolver.

Is there a shell plate that will work for .45 auto rim on my Square deal b?

Or do I need to load it on the 650?(I don't have .45 dies for the 650)

Also what brass do you recommend?

Thanks for any input...

I wish it was that easy but the rim of the 45 AR is thicker than the rim of the 45 Colt. You can't load 45 AR on the SDB but you can on the 650 with a shellplate change. If you will be loading any quantity of it you should get a .45 AR crimp die that will put a revolver typer roll crim on the round instead of the taper crimp you will get with the ACP dies.

Neal in AZ

We tried making a shellplate for the 45AR cartridge. The rim is just too thick, leaving only a few thousanths on material to hold the case in place. one ripped up after running two cases through the size die, the other lasted for four cases. Suggest the 550B or 650 for 45AR.

How many rounds will he go through? It may not be worth the trouble. Help him load a few hundred on a single stage press, and see if he is still interested.

The only new brass I ever bought was AR. Loaded it once. I prefer the moons with .45acp.

Thanks for the info.

I don't see why my friend doesn't want to just stick with the moon clips.

If all I needed was a shell plate for the SDB it would be worth it.

I don't have any .45 dies for the 650 so it would not be worth it just to load about 100 rounds.

I see how many he was looking to load. If he wants 1000 or more I'll suggest he buy the dies and convertion(650) for me and I'll take care of the rest.

It can never hurt to have too much equipment.

Thanks again for the info.