Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 vs 625

ChrisC

I currently shoot a 4 inch 610 that has been carmonized back when he hated hammer spurs and had time to whack them off. After spending the day with Hopalong I have a question that I'd like your input on.

How much faster can you reload a 625 than a 610. I actually held a 625 today and stared into the huge holes in the cylinder. It does, in theory, seem that the 625 would load faster because there is less for the rounds to catch on. I use 200 gr RN 40 bullets which help tremendously with the 610 but there is still all that extra meat between the holes. I have never felt that I am slow on my reloads, especially when I take the time to practice them but have had the moon stand on the cylinder while reloading.

I am in the constant pursuit of elevating my game. Would it be worth exploring the idea of dropping the 610 platform and switching to the 625? how much would I expect to gain?

The 625 dominates the division for a variety of reasons; I think this is a big one. I considered the 610 because I was reloading 40 for limited, but have been very happy with the 625.

I currently shoot a 4 inch 610 that has been carmonized back when he hated hammer spurs and had time to whack them off. After spending the day with Hopalong I have a question that I'd like your input on.

How much faster can you reload a 625 than a 610. I actually held a 625 today and stared into the huge holes in the cylinder. It does, in theory, seem that the 625 would load faster because there is less for the rounds to catch on. I use 200 gr RN 40 bullets which help tremendously with the 610 but there is still all that extra meat between the holes. I have never felt that I am slow on my reloads, especially when I take the time to practice them but have had the moon stand on the cylinder while reloading.

I am in the constant pursuit of elevating my game. Would it be worth exploring the idea of dropping the 610 platform and switching to the 625? how much would I expect to gain?

Have you had the 610 cylinder chamfered

If your reloads with the 610 are dead on, then I don't think there is much of a difference. That being said, the 625 is much more forgiving on the reload. (I started shooting a 625 last fall after about 5 yrs with my 610.)

In the 4" gun, the 625 might be a bit better, but since the 610 can be had with a 6.5" tube, and the 625 only a 5", I think the longer sight radius and extra weight of the larger 610 may actually make for faster follow up and recovery over the reload time.. I switched to a more pointed 40 cal bullet to remedy some of the reloading issues I felt were had with a regular RN. I fired my 610 yesterday after having shot a 686 classic gun with Bear creek 158 rn's and right away felt 100% better.. the 610 was more stable, faster recovery, and obviously the moon clips speeded up reloading.. I've only seen a few 625's with a 6.5" tube, one is a two tone that John Bagakis owns.. I believe the 6.5" tube was taken off of an older model 25 since the frame is stainless but the barrel is blued. If I could get a 6.5" 625, I'd think about it a bit more seriously.

There is something about those big holes in the 625's cylinder which makes for speedier reloads with fewer hangups. The added mass of the 230 gr. bullets also is an advantage.

Sarg...I had issues swing a 6.5 on transitions. Damn thing just wanted to keep on going. 625 is on its way. Gotta run them head to head to see who the winner is.

That's one aggressive chamfer Mitch :surprise: Don't want to steal a thread, but how much can you take off safely??

I bought a 6.5" 610 because I already loaded .40, but I'm in the same boat as you Chris. Reloads seem to make or break my runs, and while they are getting smoother, I still have an occasional hang-up. Even though I've always believed it's the Indian and not the arrow......I still think maybe it would have been smarter in the long run to go with a 5" 625.

That's one aggressive chamfer Mitch :surprise: Don't want to steal a thread, but how much can you take off safely??

I bought a 6.5" 610 because I already loaded .40, but I'm in the same boat as you Chris. Reloads seem to make or break my runs, and while they are getting smoother, I still have an occasional hang-up. Even though I've always believed it's the Indian and not the arrow......I still think maybe it would have been smarter in the long run to go with a 5" 625.

It seems worse than it is. When you compare it to a 2011 barrel there is still plenty of support. I wouldn't shoot hot 10mm anymore but .40 is fine. I will take a picture tomorrow of the case web and post it. As to the what is smarter; I junk sarge made M wih a 610. It can be done and by the time you get to that level of serious, picking up another wheel. I still shoot the 610 because it is competitive enough for me if I do my part and I have a 1050 set up for .40 with only small primer system and it would cost a ton to convert. Add that to the mountain of clips and primers I have and I'll be shooting .40 for a while.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Hi Chris

Your simple question appears to be four-inch versus 6 inch benefits? That answer appears to be sight radius. The longer the site radius the better the control is of accuracy on distant targets. I shoot a 61/2 inch Smith model 610 in USPSA. I put on fiber optic front and rear sights from cylinder and slide. They greatly improve my site picture with bright three dots, red green red.

Your clips and holder may have more to do with your speed than caliber selection. A round becoming dislodged from the clip while loading or a clip falling from the holder while moving/ running between stages is a PITA. I use what the pros use: Hearthco clips and a Speed E Rack holder and don't have any of these equipment problems.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks for your input everybody. Reloading a revolver in itself is an art form. I have been shooting my 610 since 2009. My reloads most of the time are pretty good. I use round bullets held by firm clips but about once a match I at least have one reload that requires speciql attention. I spent last weekend with hopalong and me proposed the hypothesis that nothing loads faster and is more forgiving than a 646 or a 625. Even if the load is .15 faster it could save several seconds through out the course of a match. This has evolved into a project to see which revolver is the fastest in my hands. Thank you again for your input and lets see how this works out.

Edited by ChrisC

Sarg...I had issues swing a 6.5 on transitions

Well, then for you, heavy is not better :)

I prefer a heavy gun, in everything.. so I don't seem to have the transition issue.. that I know of.

I try to prep my trigger as I'm transitioning so that when I see the A zone, I am touching off the round and then starting my second squeeze. I tend to go for all Alphas if possible.. speed comes with experience, why be sloppy?

I've sat and timed my reloads.. when everything works, I average 2.25-2.5 secs per reload with the TK custom/RIMZ combo. My bullet is pointed like the 170 gr Bear Creek in 357.. I don't have such an aggressive chamfer on my 610 though..

If you have good moonclips that hold the bullets tight, I don't think the extra metal between the chambers makes any difference. If you bullets wiggle around in the clips I can see where it could be a little more difficult.