Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 gen3 mods?

G17inAL

I am just starting to get my feet wet in IDPA, but have been shooting all my life. I recently acquired a Glock 34 (gen 3) and have added the following mods:

Ghost 3.5lb connector and Trigger Spring

4lb Striker Spring

Ghost Plunger spring

My question is.......Knowing that I will surely have some light strikes, what pound recoil spring would be recommended with this setup? I was thinking a stainless with 13lb, but just making sure that is ok.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to the board and sport!

Spring weight will in part depend on your loads. A 13 lb spring runs well in my G34 with 147gr and 124gr at 132-136PF.

What primers are you using? I would personally recommend against using a reduced power striker spring unless you are using exclusively Federal primers (even then I still wouldn't). If you run a Jager or comparable lightened striker with a lengthened tip, you can avoid much of this concern. IMO the reduced pull weight is not worth the reliability risk when using a factory striker.

Welcome to the board and sport!

Spring weight will in part depend on your loads. A 13 lb spring runs well in my G34 with 147gr and 124gr at 132-136PF.

What primers are you using? I would personally recommend against using a reduced power striker spring unless you are using exclusively Federal primers (even then I still wouldn't). If you run a Jager or comparable lightened striker with a lengthened tip, you can avoid much of this concern. IMO the reduced pull weight is not worth the reliability risk when using a factory striker.

+1 to everything :cheers:

I forget the company but you can get various weights of striker springs. The light strike magnet is the 4.0 lb spring, do not use with winchester small pistol primers or harder (wolf etc). About 1:100-200 are light strikes. Try a 4.5 or 5.0, iirc 6.0 is the stock version.

The lighter recoil springs are fine with most ammo. If your going to run factory ammo like winchester white box check out a 15 lb spring, with minor loads I run a 13 lb spring in my 34.

Thanks for the advice. So, probably best to at least start with putting the stock striker spring back in? How about the other stuff that I did, as far as reliability?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep. I wouldn't be concerned with anything but the striker spring.

All this talk about light strikes is only an issue if you're reloading and shooting lightened loads, correct? So if you're shooting factory loads, something like the Glockworx Competition Spring Kit shouldn't be an issue, right?

All this talk about light strikes is only an issue if you're reloading and shooting lightened loads, correct? So if you're shooting factory loads, something like the Glockworx Competition Spring Kit shouldn't be an issue, right?

I'm not sure I follow this logic. The issue with light strikes comes from an insufficient strike to the primer. If the primer does not ignite, the amount of powder doesn't even come into play. Both factory ammo and reloads offer the same available options for primers. The only potential difference that I see that could affect light strikes in reloaded vs factory would be an increased possibility of having a high primer. You are more likely you are to have a light strike with a high primer.

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up putting the factory striker spring back in and have had zero issues. Now I need to sell my gen4 G17, before my wife kills me. The G34 is sweet!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I like the 4.5lb striker spring and have had no issues with it but really only run Atlanta Arms Ammo in my competition gun.

I also prefer the factory trigger spring, I've found that many glocks with the heavy trigger spring the trigger pad safety doesn't reset properly.

What classification are you wanting to shoot in? For ESP you can have the Stainless guide rod and whatever spring you want. In SSP you have to stay with a polymer guide rod. I run a Jager polymer guide rod with a screw that allows me to change the recoil spring and stay in SSP.

I plan to run SSP for a while. As I get better, I would like to try some more classifications. I'm trying to talk my wife into understanding why I need to build an Open gun with my G17.....lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure I follow this logic. The issue with light strikes comes from an insufficient strike to the primer. If the primer does not ignite, the amount of powder doesn't even come into play. Both factory ammo and reloads offer the same available options for primers. The only potential difference that I see that could affect light strikes in reloaded vs factory would be an increased possibility of having a high primer. You are more likely you are to have a light strike with a high primer.

No logic involved on my part...but you cleared it up!