Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P14 trigger job

caz41

I have a P14 tactical that I would like to make into a 3gun HM pistol. I would like to have a trigger job done to get it in the 2 1/2# range like my custom Limited STI. I don't have much for local smiths that I fully trust for this. Give me some options please.

You're prolly gonna have to ship it anyway so where the 'smith is doesn't matter much. I can strongly recommend Shay at AKAI Custom Guns in Ft Lauderdale, Florida. His work is absolutely first rate. Talk to him first. You won't be disappointed. :cheers:

Para-Ordnance guns can be very tricky to do a trigger job on. Since they are manufactured by casting rather than forging, the hammer and sear pins can easily be drilled off-kilter. If they are askew, a "hack" pistolsmith can do a decent trigger job on it, but within a thousand or so shots, the quality of the trigger will take a nose-dive.

You're smart to seek a good 'smith for this. The trigger job will also probably be a little more expensive than one would expect. Almost all of the internals on the Para are absolute crap, so the 'smith will not use any of them for the finished product, not even the disconnector.

Why not get a C&S drop in trigget kit. I've been running mine for 3years now at 2lbs with 0the issues.

Is there a kit that has the series 80 reduction kit and the trigger kit together or do you need both separately?

Also how are they for installing?

Para-Ordnance guns can be very tricky to do a trigger job on. Since they are manufactured by casting rather than forging, the hammer and sear pins can easily be drilled off-kilter. If they are askew, a "hack" pistolsmith can do a decent trigger job on it, but within a thousand or so shots, the quality of the trigger will take a nose-dive.

You're smart to seek a good 'smith for this. The trigger job will also probably be a little more expensive than one would expect. Almost all of the internals on the Para are absolute crap, so the 'smith will not use any of them for the finished product, not even the disconnector.

Smart to seek, just not smart enough to know who?

Is there a kit that has the series 80 reduction kit and the trigger kit together or do you need both separately?

Your Para came from the factory with the Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear, and disconnector. You can get the Series 80 frame filler to delete the S80 parts from Brownells for $5.

Edited by T_T

Why not get a C&S drop in trigget kit. I've been running mine for 3years now at 2lbs with 0the issues.

I've never seen them sold together. The C&S kits are easily installed ,do all the safety checks and follow the instructions and they work great. I've ran a spacer and a S80 reduction kit,I prefer the spacer.

Edited by Roy Hess

Until T_T weighed in, I hadn't noticed that you have a "Tactical" series gun. I will retract my "internals are crap" statement, as that should've been reserved for standard Paras.

With that being said, the weight of the trigger can be brought down by "tweaking" the springs, but the 'smith needs to check how the parts are wearing against each other. The hammer and sear pins must be parallel for a light trigger job to last.