Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M4 for 3 Gun - What Mods?

SC-Texas

I know, the M4 is not as good as the M2, but I have two of them and frankly I like them.

Some issues that I have ID'd:

Magazine Capcity: 5 in the tube from the factory. I have made mine 922r compliant.

I have the +2 factory extension and the Nordic +2 Nova/Super nova extensions so I now have nine in the tube.

I am about to buy two of the FFG one peice Titanium tubes.

Magazine Spring: What is the roper length spring for a 9rd tube and who makes the best prings? i am using Nordic Components trimmed to about 16" outside the extended tube as a starting point.

Follower:I am using the Noridi Components lightweight follower

Stock: The collapsible/Non collapsible spistol grip stock just doesn't seem as fast as the field stock. so I have ordered field stocks.

Bolt Handle: The stock one seems undersized. I have an over sized on one of my shotguns, was thinking baout an FFG titanium 3/4" charging handle.

Bolt Release: Anyone know where I can get a bolt release button that is brightly colored? I have a purple one on one of my M4s and want something simelar since it makes it real easy to find my shotgun when its in the rack with all the tacticool shotguns.

Trigger: Who makes the best trigger/Hammer assembly?

Anything else?

Carrier modifications?

Edited by SC-Texas

I'd get rid of the pistol gripped stock, install a vent rib barrel for faster target acquisition (you can't), and a tube that holds 8 rounds or more.

Edited by DyNo!

I just sold my m4 for an M2..

I did run my m4 on a few 3 gun matches (did the carrier comp full length tube an Nordic +1)

I don't think you will find much feed back here sense almost no one has done The mods you are asking about.

It's one of the downsides about running gear that not really popular.. Lives you to figure out all this stuff on your own.

Anyway it seemed to me the pistol grip made the m4 a bit easier to load...

But the m2's vent rib barrel and bead setup along with it's lighter weight just make it so much fun more fun to shoot..

If you have 2 m4 I would sell one and get an m2 use that mod money to weld the lift gate and call it a day :)

I did run my m4 on a few 3 gun matches (did the carrier comp full length tube an Nordic +1)

I don't think you will find much feed back here sense almost no one has done The mods you are asking about.

It's one of the downsides about running gear that not really popular.. Lives you to figure out all this stuff on your own.

But the m2's vent rib barrel and bead setup along with it's lighter weight just make it so much fun more fun to shoot..

If you have 2 m4 I would sell one and get an m2 use that mod money to weld the lift gate and call it a day :)

+1

I know, the M4 is not as good as the M2, but I have two of them and frankly I like them.

Some issues that I have ID'd:

Magazine Capcity: 5 in the tube from the factory. I have made mine 922r compliant.

I have the +2 factory extension and the Nordic +2 Nova/Super nova extensions so I now have nine in the tube.

I am about to buy two of the FFG one peice Titanium tubes.

Magazine Spring: What is the roper length spring for a 9rd tube and who makes the best prings? i am using Nordic Components trimmed to about 16" outside the extended tube as a starting point.

Follower:I am using the Noridi Components lightweight follower

Stock: The collapsible/Non collapsible spistol grip stock just doesn't seem as fast as the field stock. so I have ordered field stocks.

Bolt Handle: The stock one seems undersized. I have an over sized on one of my shotguns, was thinking baout an FFG titanium 3/4" charging handle.

Bolt Release: Anyone know where I can get a bolt release button that is brightly colored? I have a purple one on one of my M4s and want something simelar since it makes it real easy to find my shotgun when its in the rack with all the tacticool shotguns.

Trigger: Who makes the best trigger/Hammer assembly?

Anything else?

Carrier modifications?

If you are an absolute die hard M4 shooter then you only need 3 mods to run one.

1. After you have your one piece magazine tube installed, find a +2 that will extend your tube capacity to 9. Cut the

spring about 10-12 inches past the tube.

2. Soften the shell latch a little so you can push the shells in with a little less effort.

3. Put on the field stock.

That is all you really need. If you want an bigger bolt handle then go for it.

The lifter is good to go with no mods. It doesn't have the same guidance cut as an M2 so it won't tear your thumbnail off.

You will be hindered by the ghost ring sights, but with no other barrel options you will be stuck with them.

My buddy has been running one for the past 3 years, but he has finally conceeded that there are too many drawbacks (sighting and weight) and will be shooting my M2.

Go out and have fun with it.

Added - If you want a colorful release button, Briley has some for you.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

+1

Another vote for this...

LOL, have I shot a vent rib in 3 gun? No. I started with my Benellie M1 Super 90 14" Entry gun.

The stock M4 was an improvement.

I'm confident that if you try a vent rib barrel in a match, you won't be considering this decision.

I would suggest a tube that can hold 9. Some stages that start cruiser ready will let you have 9...MD's choice. You may also be able to add a NC XXL cap and cut the spring down to 12-14" past the tube and accomplish the same thing.

I'd get rid of the pistol gripped stock, install a vent rib barrel for faster target acquisition (you can't), and a tube that holds 8 rounds or more.

A friend of mine removed the rear sight and used the picatany rail on top as a make shift vent rib like on the FNslp and he added a fiber optic front. It worked well for him in 2011 at Larue. Now he is using a M2. I used to run an M4 and I found the Ghost Ring sights great for slugs but slower for everything else. I now run an M2 when I shoot Tac Optics.

pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Increase your magazine capacity, but don't change anything else until you have shot some matches and are sure of the change. Some people (like me) actually prefer a pistol grip stock and ghost ring sights... it took a lot of effort for me to put them on my Remington Versa Max (a US copy of the Benelli M4). If you really want to go to a vent rib and field stock, I would actually suggest you sell your Benelli and just buy a Versa Max Tactical, then spend the extra money you take in on practice ammo.

How much does cutting the mag spring down make it easier to load fast?

It makes it easier for the gun to malfunction.

Mine are 12" beyond the assembly - some run them longer or shorter.

How much does cutting the mag spring down make it easier to load fast?

It makes it easier for the gun to malfunction.

Mine are 12" beyond the assembly - some run them longer or shorter.

I am running mine 18"

Want tofu it down a little.

I have an M4 and I refuse to switch to anything else just because everyone says its the thing to do. I went with a Carrier Comp titanium tube with a +2 Nordic on the end. I use the Nordic spring (16" past) with the Carrier Comp follower. For the bolt handle, I went with Freedom Fighter Tactical 1/2 titanium bolt handle. I also got the Dave's Metal Works bolt release. I ended up beveling the loading port myself, and tuning the shell catch as well. Loads slicker than eel shit now.

Personally I don't see how ghost ring sights are a hinderance. During the shotgun parts of the stage, I don't even see the ghost ring in the rear. And as stated earlier in the thread, they help out A TON for the long range slug shots many MD's like to throw at you.

The weight I can see a difference. But I don't see how its that much of a big deal. The shorter barrel I think will balance out the weight issue for transitioning between targets. If you like it, run it. I don't plan on shooting anything else until a deal comes along. Even then I'll probably keep using my trusted M4.

I have an M4 and I refuse to switch to anything else just because everyone says its the thing to do. I went with a Carrier Comp titanium tube with a +2 Nordic on the end. I use the Nordic spring (16" past) with the Carrier Comp follower. For the bolt handle, I went with Freedom Fighter Tactical 1/2 titanium bolt handle. I also got the Dave's Metal Works bolt release. I ended up beveling the loading port myself, and tuning the shell catch as well. Loads slicker than eel shit now.

Personally I don't see how ghost ring sights are a hinderance. During the shotgun parts of the stage, I don't even see the ghost ring in the rear. And as stated earlier in the thread, they help out A TON for the long range slug shots many MD's like to throw at you.

The weight I can see a difference. But I don't see how its that much of a big deal. The shorter barrel I think will balance out the weight issue for transitioning between targets. If you like it, run it. I don't plan on shooting anything else until a deal comes along. Even then I'll probably keep using my trusted M4.

I used to feel the same way about the Ghost Ring sights however after doing some drills with both on simple steel target arrays I fould the vent rib with the fiber optic bead definately faster. Borrow an M2 and run it next to your gun some time on say a plate rack and compare your times.

Pat

I have an M4 and I refuse to switch to anything else just because everyone says its the thing to do.

It isn't a popularity thing as much as it is an experience thing. Take a look at the top shooters on 3-Gun Nation and you'll find that none of them are running ghost rings. Skill is the main reason that certian people are on the top but equipment follows closely behind.

Personally I don't see how ghost ring sights are a hinderance.

Have you shot a vent ribbed barrel in a 3-gun match?

During the shotgun parts of the stage, I don't even see the ghost ring in the rear. And as stated earlier in the thread, they help out A TON for the long range slug shots many MD's like to throw at you.

Understand that you are giving up visibility, even if you don't realize it. Although you might be able to shoot at your level with reduced visibility, imagine what advantages you would have if you could see more.

It's not impossible to do though. I shot a 18.5" ghost ringed M1 for about 8 years until I got a 21" and Rob Romero recently experimented with a 18.5" rifle sighted Benelli at the TXMG.

If your cheek weld and initial sight alignment is good - it's as simple as getting an acceptable sight picture for the target and whacking the shotgun trigger.

For me though, a vent ribbed barrel offers the flexibility of a red-dot with extremely limited parralax. If I keep my head where it is supposed to be - I simply keep both eyes open and put the dot where I want the shot...

I have an M4 and I refuse to switch to anything else just because everyone says its the thing to do.

It isn't a popularity thing as much as it is an experience thing. Take a look at the top shooters on 3-Gun Nation and you'll find that none of them are running ghost rings. Skill is the main reason that certian people are on the top but equipment follows closely behind.

Personally I don't see how ghost ring sights are a hinderance.

Have you shot a vent ribbed barrel in a 3-gun match?

During the shotgun parts of the stage, I don't even see the ghost ring in the rear. And as stated earlier in the thread, they help out A TON for the long range slug shots many MD's like to throw at you.

Understand that you are giving up visibility, even if you don't realize it. Although you might be able to shoot at your level with reduced visibility, imagine what advantages you would have if you could see more.

It's not impossible to do though. I shot a 18.5" ghost ringed M1 for about 8 years until I got a 21" and Rob Romero recently experimented with a 18.5" rifle sighted Benelli at the TXMG.

If your cheek weld and initial sight alignment is good - it's as simple as getting an acceptable sight picture for the target and whacking the shotgun trigger.

For me though, a vent ribbed barrel offers the flexibility of a red-dot with extremely limited parralax. If I keep my head where it is supposed to be - I simply keep both eyes open and put the dot where I want the shot...

While I haven't used a vent-rib in competition, I have been an avid bird hunter for many years. I too keep both eyes open when I shoot the shotgun. At this point I think I'm fairly fast shooting it at steel and clays. I don't doubt I can clean a 6 plate rack in under 3 seconds everytime.

Maybe you're right. Maybe if I can get to the level where I can see it's a hinderance, I may switch over. Until I'm in the top ten at the bigger matches, I don't see a reason to switch. As my pistol has been my weak point lately, not the shotgun.

I ran my M1 w rifle sights @ TX MG. Stage one started with 4 slug on steel @ ~70 yds., standing unsupported. We sat through the squad ahead of us before shooting, and of the shooters I watched from both squads, I was the only one that hit all 4 in 4 shots. Most others were of course running ribbed barrels & FO beads. Those setups may result in faster times overall, all else being equal, but no one system is ideal for all shots. In the end, it's what works best for you most of the time. To evaluate, one must keep an open mind, and try different systems to find what works for them.