Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very cool camper/trailer

I've been considering building a teardrop camper...google it...cheap and small. But I just found this and thought I'd share. I have no experience with them, but they sure look cool and well built with cool engineering.

This looks like it will haul 4x8 sheets too, in addition to gear, bikes, moto, etc. The price is about $8k but still cheaper than a "real" camper.

http://www.sylvansport.com/

It's been a while but I've seen some "systems" along this line. Essentially, they are utility trailers that have a popup tent insert. They range from simple one or two person jobs to elaborate ones with exterior tents that attach with lots of amenities.

There's quite a 'cult' following on the teardrop trailers.. probably be fun to build. A lot of the fishing shows I've been too, have a few setup, and the clubs talking about them.

I don't think the Sylvan would fly in a few of the YNP campgrounds, they require hard sided (for the Grizzlies, not those little pesky black bears - lol)

I thought about bears...I'm not sure many of the teardrops I've seen would protect from a determined grizzly either...hard side or not. Especially since the kitchen in in the same little box as you. :surprise:

We've had some recent black bear issues in Kentucky lately and I'd rather not test my build skill against one of those either...all I know is if a bear comes knocking my shelter is going to smell up pretty quick :sick::ph34r:

Nothing would probably stop a determined grizzly. And most parks seem to require the use of thier bear storage lockers. I've seen cars after black bears went after them.. if they want to.. they're getting in, into almost anythign that you can drive or tow

But having the hard sided trailer, would give you a little more access. Not sure if that's just a Yellowstone (and only at some campgrouns) rule.. or if other parks have that as well.

A soft sided, in wind and rain would drive me nuts.. lol

Let us know what you decide.. I do think it would be a fun project building your own