Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone load on a 550 and a 650?

I've been loading about a year on a 550. I'm shooting .40 and .38 super. Lately I've been shooting a lot and switching between .38 super and .40 a lot. I've started thinking about adding a 650 to my bench. Does anyone have both a 550 and a 650. I'd like to hear how that works for you. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Another machine may be overkill?

I've got both along with a square deal. All have a purpose and work very well. If you want quality bullets fast, the 650 is for you. Much quicker than the 550. I do not have much problem with the 650 other than an occasional case not wanting to go down the tube. Takes a couple seconds to clear. Very good machine.

Paul

I started out with a 550 like yourself and decided to buy a 650. I use my 550 to load my match ammunition and my 650 to load practice ammo. You'll love the 650. By the way, if you decide to buy a 650, be sure to buy it from Brian Enos.

My 550 has been gathering dust since my 650 arrived many years ago. I've got 2 tool heads set up for the 650. One in 38 super and one in 40 S&W. The only reason I keep the 550 there is in case my 650 were to ever go down.

When I was a poor college student, I was loading on a single-stage press that I had set up in my closet. To save time, I would go over to my neighbor's house and use his Dillon machines. He had a pair of 550s, set up back to back. One was for large primers, and the other was for small. The advantage here is that he doesn't have to buy all new toolheads for a new type of machine.

I have a similar set-up, where I use my 650 for small primers (9mm, .38 Super, .40) and have a Square Deal for large primers (10mm, .45).

OTOH, if you can get a 650, go for it. The casefeeder rocks! It makes all the difference in the world. Before I got my casefeeder, I was still loading faster on the SDB than on the 650.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got both. For me it is the boredome factor. I can load 300 on my 650 in the time it takes to load 100 on the 550. Also the 650 is just smoother. If you want to spend a lot less time reloading and more time shooting go for the 650. You will never be sorry.