Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What held you back from buying a Dillon press earlier?

During the 80s surplus ammunition was easy to come by. In the 90s I spent most of my time shooting flintlocks. By 2000 I was back shooting subguns again and feeding Thompsons had gotten expensive. Still the price of a Dillon held me back, didn't see any thing wrong with my RCBS single stage setup. In 2004 I won a 550B in a raffle the local range was having and after using it I wished I had spent the money earlier to buy one. :)

Loading bench setup now is a 650, 550B and that old RCBS press.

I just can't bring myself to pack up that old RCBS, I have been reloading on that one for over 30 years now. I still find it relaxing to sit down and reload on it from time to time.

Edited by retarmyaviator

Started with a Rock Chucker in the 70's. Last December saw a red press for 130.00 thought I would try progressive....... big no no. I still have it but my 650 will make twice the amount with less stress more cosistancy OAL , Powder drop, ease of use is amazing and no ( constant) tinkering. Bascally learned the long way around.

Didn't know any better.....Lee Nutcracker.....surprise.gif

Now I have enough Blue presses for my needs and usually have 2 or 3 SDBs and/or 550s loaned out to new shooters.

Most of them graduate to their own Dillon sooner or later.

Until you have to have a Camdex, one of the Dillon lineup is all you will ever need. cheers.gif

I was fortunate to start with the blue, almost went red then a friend soon told me that I would end selling to get dillon, I was lucky! Threads like this help those not buy something they would otherwise regret :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

didnt shoot enough volume in pistol rounds to justify reloading. when I started playing the USPSA game buying factory stuff got expensive. first Dillon was a second hand 550 that served me well for about 10 years before upgrading to a 650 this year.

After 20+ years of loading on a Lee Turret Press (and my shooting volume increased) I decided it was time to upgrade. After discussing it with Brian I settled on a 550. All I can say is wow. Now I have LOTS more time to shoot because I can safely load so much more ammunition in so much less time!

• 1 month later...

Like someone else said; Dillon was not in business when I started. But I do remember seeing their ads in the American Rifleman and thinking 'wtf is that and why would anyone want one?'. Unfortunately, I was just as forward thinking on a number of other technical innovations through the years. :rolleyes:

But now that I can afford a Dillon and am shooting umpteen rounds per range visit I get it. Finally.

1. The illusion that they are expensive. Taking a proper long-term view, these machines last forever and are therefore a serious bargain.

2. At one point I was very skeptical of primer tubes from a safety perspective, and bought an RCBS Pro 2000. Sold that mediocre chunk of cast iron and bought a 550.

3. I'm a contrarian by nature, so I figured if 9 out of 10 shooters recommended Dillon machines they MUST be terrible! :roflol: