Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-Gun - Major/Minor?

sbpt1911

In Dec, I completed my rifle for 3 gun, and recently built up my Glock 34 gen4 no expenses sparedcheers.gif

getting ready to buy my Benelli m2wink.gif. So I'm set up to shoot minor, and now everyone is shooting major? What gives?huh.gif

In Dec, I completed my rifle for 3 gun, and recently built up my Glock 34 gen4 no expenses sparedcheers.gif

getting ready to buy my Benelli m2wink.gif. So I'm set up to shoot minor, and now everyone is shooting major? What gives?huh.gif

Really. When USPSA went to Time-Plus, several people went to minor. The only match major might help is Iron-Man for those pesky spinners. Only the Heavy/He-Man divisions require major. and then even then not all of them for the pistol.

Really. When USPSA went to Time-Plus, several people went to minor. The only match major might help is Iron-Man for those pesky spinners. Only the Heavy/He-Man divisions require major. and then even then not all of them for the pistol.

I saw the results for the 2012 Multi gun nationals, and every competitor in every division is listed as having shot Major PF? I'm still pretty new to all this, and no expert by any means.

I saw the results for the 2012 Multi gun nationals, and every competitor in every division is listed as having shot Major PF? I'm still pretty new to all this, and no expert by any means.

That is the default in the EZWinscore program (required to score USPSA mathces). Since Time-Plus does not recognize PF, not worth it to go change it. For USPSA, Time-Plus, just have to make minor in Tact, Lim and Open.

It is okay, ask away. Just realize the answers won't be in concert because everyone has their own bias and there are a lot of matches, most with their own ruleset.

:devil: Even if there is no "required PF" the round still has a PF :devil:

That is the default in the EZWinscore program (required to score USPSA mathces). Since Time-Plus does not recognize PF, not worth it to go change it. For USPSA, Time-Plus, just have to make minor in Tact, Lim and Open.

It is okay, ask away. Just realize the answers won't be in concert because everyone has their own bias and there are a lot of matches, most with their own ruleset.

:devil: Even if there is no "required PF" the round still has a PF :devil:

Yup...I shot 9mm minor and it had me listed as shooting major. Lotsa guys shooting 9mm and tons of 9 mil brass on the ground. Still saw lotsa .38 and .40 though. I have identical Glock 34 & 35 so I just went with what was cheaper to shoot and the couple extra rounds helped a wee bit on a stage or two. I'm reloading 9 for 105.00 per 1000 so it was a $$$ factor for me to shoot the 9mm

Please excuse my ignorance, In simple terms could someone explain the Mj/minor thing to me. I am building an ar to shoot 3 gun, quite simple in comparison I fear. I started shooting bulls eye with a Gold Cup .45 and also used it in IPSIC, (I think it was... a long time ago, and the .45 seni-auto had just been invented I believe. :surprise: ) and it was quite a disadvantage for me, as the recoil was much more difficult to handle than the .38 Super most of the other shooters were using. I don't want to be in that position again, as much as I love the .45. I am also quite partial for self defense, to the .40 having had a Glock, but qualified for a concealed with a 9mm, and as far as recoil goes, the 9 was way easier to put back on target. So, what's up with this, I'm afraid I am quite lost here.

I would think shooting 9 would be my best bet, but would that cause me to miss out on some points, where as if I was shooting .40 I'd be getting all that was possible. Or is the 9 now excepted in Tactical where I intend to shoot. I can't see myself shooting heavy metal any time soon. If I made any class changes it would likely be to open, or production.

Sorry to be so ignorant on this subject, and thanks in advance for your help,

JL

Please excuse my ignorance, In simple terms could someone explain the Mj/minor thing to me. I am building an ar to shoot 3 gun, quite simple in comparison I fear. I started shooting bulls eye with a Gold Cup .45 and also used it in IPSIC, (I think it was... a long time ago, and the .45 seni-auto had just been invented I believe. :surprise: ) and it was quite a disadvantage for me, as the recoil was much more difficult to handle than the .38 Super most of the other shooters were using. I don't want to be in that position again, as much as I love the .45. I am also quite partial for self defense, to the .40 having had a Glock, but qualified for a concealed with a 9mm, and as far as recoil goes, the 9 was way easier to put back on target. So, what's up with this, I'm afraid I am quite lost here.

I would think shooting 9 would be my best bet, but would that cause me to miss out on some points, where as if I was shooting .40 I'd be getting all that was possible. Or is the 9 now excepted in Tactical where I intend to shoot. I can't see myself shooting heavy metal any time soon. If I made any class changes it would likely be to open, or production.

Sorry to be so ignorant on this subject, and thanks in advance for your help,

JL

It all depends on whoose match you are going to be competing in. If you are shooting a USPSA multigun match, you will be scored minor with a .223/5.56 rifle and 9mm pistol (both will still have to make minor Power Factor to shoot for score at all, but that is a whole new subject).

For most major 3gun/multigun matches, some form of IMGA ruleset is used, which just requires 9mm (9x19) to be the minimum pistol caliber and .223/5.56 to be the minimum rifle caliber. There is no chrono. The points for shooting a 9mm or a ,45 within the same class/division are the same. Most of these matches are scored on a neutralize/non neutralize or a raw time plus penalties basis. Many people shoot 9mm in Tac optics, but there are probaly just as many that shoot .40 cal pistols. If you are shooting a 9 in outlaw 3gun, the caliber is not a disadvantage.

I hope this helps

Hurley

Thanks Hurley, if I read this right it sounds like I can shoot 9 at most places and not suffer any penalties for caliber. This would be my preference for competition and I'll keep my 40 at home for my honey.

JL

Feel free to ask all you want.

3Gun/MG seems to be about change, then and now. The first (1980 and 1981) few major matches were IPSC sanctioned and had a single division. The top ten were primarily shooting single stack 1911s, .308 rifles and Remington 1100s in 12 ga. We now have at least 11 divisions, where a match may recognize anywhere from 1 to as many as 6. 3G/MG matches primarily follow IMGA style rules, with some subtle and not so subtle differences, but most do not recognize PF unless you are shooting a Heavy division, and even then some don't chrono, test or specify PF.

For some, when you say "Multi-Gun" it implies USPSA whereas everything else is "3Gun".

SNIP... If you are shooting a USPSA multigun match, you will be scored minor with a .223/5.56 rifle and 9mm pistol (both will still have to make minor Power Factor to shoot for score at all, but that is a whole new subject).

SNIP...If you are shooting a 9 in outlaw 3gun, the caliber is not a disadvantage.

I hope this helps

Hurley

SNIP 1...or not. USPSA Nationals was Time-Plus, so no major/minor scoring. We've been running Time-Plus for about a year and we have the CO State MG this week using Time-Plus. EzWinscore even just got updated to be able to post scores to USPSA.org.

SNIP 2...or not. Some matches, a flatter shooting and or harder hitting round is beneficial. 9minor at spinners is not fun, neither at gongs at 120 yards. Some matches, dues to the style, may put 9 minor at a slight disadvantrage on a few of the stages, probably balances out over the long haul.

How are these spinners scored?

At Iron-Man they need to rotate fully to score or it is a 60 second penalty. In USPSA, scored as 2 plates (at least that was what we ended up with).

Feel free to ask all you want.

3Gun/MG seems to be about change, then and now. The first (1980 and 1981) few major matches were IPSC sanctioned and had a single division. The top ten were primarily shooting single stack 1911s, .308 rifles and Remington 1100s in 12 ga. We now have at least 11 divisions, where a match may recognize anywhere from 1 to as many as 6. 3G/MG matches primarily follow IMGA style rules, with some subtle and not so subtle differences, but most do not recognize PF unless you are shooting a Heavy division, and even then some don't chrono, test or specify PF.

For some, when you say "Multi-Gun" it implies USPSA whereas everything else is "3Gun".

SNIP... If you are shooting a USPSA multigun match, you will be scored minor with a .223/5.56 rifle and 9mm pistol (both will still have to make minor Power Factor to shoot for score at all, but that is a whole new subject).

SNIP...If you are shooting a 9 in outlaw 3gun, the caliber is not a disadvantage.

I hope this helps

Hurley

SNIP 1...or not. USPSA Nationals was Time-Plus, so no major/minor scoring. We've been running Time-Plus for about a year and we have the CO State MG this week using Time-Plus. EzWinscore even just got updated to be able to post scores to USPSA.org.

SNIP 2...or not. Some matches, a flatter shooting and or harder hitting round is beneficial. 9minor at spinners is not fun, neither at gongs at 120 yards. Some matches, dues to the style, may put 9 minor at a slight disadvantrage on a few of the stages, probably balances out over the long haul.

Sorry for the mis-information, I have not shot a USPSA multigun match in a few years (actually, I think the last one that I shot was a 3gun, 3rifle stages, 3pistol stages and 3 shotgun stages).

I haven't got to attend the Iron Man, so I was speaking for the Eastern matches that I have attended.

Hurley

Thanks, I think I get it. I'm going to pick up a Glock 34 to start with, then add a 40 later. I noticed watching Katie Harris shoot 3 gun, she uses a "silver" (I'm thinking this is a 9) pistol at one match, then a "black" pistol (think this is a 40) at a different match. Perhaps that is what I'm seeing, her or her father having her change guns to suit the course.

Anyway thanks, that clears things up a bunch,

JL

Edited by Sleepswithdogs