Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW mag well and Caspian mags

ZoomZoom

New EGW mag well added to my new to me older Caspian and the only mag it came with [140mm] pretty much disappears. Any input on a base pad or add on pad for that issue?

And perhaps saving the forum from a second thread:

Opinions on best 140mm mags for the Caspian. I'm thinking I'll need more then the one mag it came with. :eatdrink:

See post #12 here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149472&st=0&p=1676157&fromsearch=1entry1676157

;)

You could go ghetto cut a chunk of tire tread and contact cement it/screw it on the base pads. :devil:

If you want bumper pads you will probably have to make them yourself. EGW has a 2+ base pad for something around 30 bucks each, but I didn't have luck making it work and now just use it as a extended base pad and run it with an old style 19 round tube.

I've heard that EAA mags can be made to work, but other than that the Caspian mags are the only manufactures of mags for the Caspian wide body that I know of. I ran the stock 19 rounders after installing the EGW magwell and it was painful seating a mag quickly. So, I understand your pain!

So... Generally the answer is that for old style caspian mags (ears in bottom that hold the basepad on point inward) you need the egw +2 base pad to make the mag longer. However, if you want the +2 you'll have to have someone mill out the dimples in the tube and reshape the follower (i think the instructions are in the bag with the pads?)

get the new style tubes. Brownell's sells them in 9mm and 38 super. Add the grams witness kits from hennings. Seems to me they hold about 24 rounds, they are not 140mm legal though but you posted in open so shouldnt matter. They work great. What caliber is yours?

I got the 2 plus extensions too and never bothered to increase the round count.

Are they really $30 now? Wow!

You are correct - the extended base pads arn't $30. EGW and Brownells lists them at $20. Sorry for the confusion.

I got the narrowed mag follower with the base pad for a total of $30 (and that was the number that stuck in my head). Even after removing the dimples and messing with differents springs and such I couldn't get it to do +2 easily, so I gave up.

FWIW: Gary at Caspian believes they'll have some big sticks available before long....the mag tubes are expected in 2-3 weeks.

That is good news. I have been waiting for a big stick for my Caspian. Also as was posted get the EGW base pads and they will work with the mag well. That is what I have on all my mags.

Thanks guy, I have a plan now.

FWIW: Gary at Caspian believes they'll have some big sticks available before long....the mag tubes are expected in 2-3 weeks.

This is awsome news! Been running the 1 big welded stick that came with my gun. Thought I lost it after one match and thought I was screwed but my buddy had it in his range bag.

Pat