Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Scale Woes

Aggieddad02

Guys, I need help with my digital scale. Been working up a load and deterrmined what it needs to be to make major PF. Got the powder throw down to the right weight and proceeded to load up 200 rounds. Last night before loading some more rounds decided to check the powder throw again. Threw 5 charges before checking the first weight and the weight is off by about .16 gr (point 16). Now I ain't gonna lie I am anal about over-charging / under-charging a case. This is my second digital scale, a Gem Pro 250, and from what I have read before ordering it has been used quite often for reloading. It has got to be something that I, a newbie to reloading, am doing but I just do not know what that might be. Open to any suggestions you may have. Son has already suggested / told me to use a beam scale but these 58 year old eyes just don't see the hash marks that well any more. Thanks

Unless your running MAX, .16 is nothing to worry about.

One thing you might want to do is make your own little calibration weight. Snip a piece of wire. Cut it till it's the weight you want. Check using the wire on occasion to insure the scale is still reading the same as it always has.

1. It sounds to me as if you are assuming that the scale is wrong.

2. 0.16 isn't a lot of difference but it can change your PF some

3. If you are so close to the border between major and minor that 0.16 does make a difference, then your PF may be too low.

Edited by Graham Smith

If you powder pan is big enough, throw 10 powder drops and then divide that number by 10 to get your average per drop. Then do that a second time and you should be able to see if there is a pattern to it being overcharged and can make small adjustments from there.

As a rule of thumb for myself, I don't start weighing till I have made 10 powder drops out of the measure. 5 drops will usually take out any variances if you have changed a setting but 10 seems to even things out and make them consistent for me and the powder I use.

As others have said, unless you are using a really fast powder or are running close to the max load, .1 is not something to get exceedingly worked up over. As usual though, you reload at your risk, so take proper precautions. :)

something i learned from school about weighing scales..

make sure its on flat surface,

check battery,

temperature, humidity can change values

always tare each weigh

for the XL650, I can manually drop powder anytime. I dump 20, weigh, dump another 10, weigh. Sometimes it depends on which powder you are using too like others have said. W231 powder meters well, not perfect but im okay with 0.04gr variances.

What about this scenario - turn the scale on with nothing on the platform, scale -0- out and I hit the Tare button and then place the powder pan on the scale. The empty powder pan will either weigh 59.38 or 59.40. And whatever of these 2 weights it starts with it stays with for a while then after weighing several charges and placing the empty powder pan on the scale it may weigh 59.44 or 59.46 for some strange reason. I always press the Tare button between charge weighing.

Here is my procedure, but my scale only measures to a tenth of a grain, not a one hundredth like yours.

1. turn on the scale and leave it warm up for no less then 15 minute
  2. calibrate the scale using method described in manual
  3. throw 10 charges and empty them back into the powder tube
  4. throw 10 charges and weight them, divide by 10, if the resulting number is not dead on to my desired weight, adjust powder measure and go back to step 2

Just a side note, of sorts, my flourescent lights give feedback into the scale & cause me small headaches occasionally. Also, the smallest breeze can give you plus or minus a couple tenths of a grain. I'm not sure pressing tare each time is that good of an idea. I only zero mine with the pan if it shows some weight other than zero. I normally follow somewhat the suggestions JDPhotoguy put up. 16/100 grain is a tiny variation in the overall scheme of things. It may cause you a problem but odds are you will never be able to tell.

MLM

Thanks guys. I guess you can tell the newbie fear of over/under charging a round. Just finished following your instructions of throwing 10 charges and then averaging 10 and it was spot on what I thought it was. Gotta love the forum and the members who keep it going - Thanks Everyone for taking the time to respond

Edited by Aggieddad02

Big +1 to dumping more than one charge in the pan and dividing it out. I use this same method, but with 5 charges at a time. I find with WST over 5 charges my weights only vary about +/- .02gr.

Guys, I need help with my digital scale. Been working up a load and deterrmined what it needs to be to make major PF. Got the powder throw down to the right weight and proceeded to load up 200 rounds. Last night before loading some more rounds decided to check the powder throw again. Threw 5 charges before checking the first weight and the weight is off by about .16 gr (point 16). Now I ain't gonna lie I am anal about over-charging / under-charging a case. This is my second digital scale, a Gem Pro 250, and from what I have read before ordering it has been used quite often for reloading. It has got to be something that I, a newbie to reloading, am doing but I just do not know what that might be. Open to any suggestions you may have. Son has already suggested / told me to use a beam scale but these 58 year old eyes just don't see the hash marks that well any more. Thanks

Easy to mount a magnifying glass. This isn't my scale, but I'm thinking more about it as my eyes get worse too.

post-13722-0-28740900-1335137858_thumb.j