Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

low hits on targets beyond 10 yards

Fireant

I'm not sure if this is the right place or not. In the last 3 weeks I have all of a sudden developed a new problem. My hits on targets past 10 yards in rapid fire are all low. I mean way low. If I slow fire at a six inch paper plate at 30 yards I can place a whole magazine on the plate. When the timer goes of in a match or practice I aim at the top center of the c zone (I know it's not center mass but I'm trying to compensate) I'm getting two D's at the very bottom of the d zone. I'm centered almost perfect left to right, but I'm about 18 - 20 inches low. At the GA match this weekend one guy on my squad told me that I'm pushing the gun forward as I shoot. I kind of noticed this once when I ran dry and did not realize and dropped the hammer on an empty chamber. How can I fix this problem? Am I doing this expecting the recoil? I shoot limited if that matters.

Thanks

Watch your damn sights!!!

(OK...I got that out of my system)

Seriously...if you are watching your sights you will SEE the problem.

It is quite simple, it is impossible to miss if you sights are on target...as the bullet leaves the barrel.

Of course, your gun could be off...but, you know it's not. You don't miss during slow fire.

Most likely, you are "looking over the gun" trying to see your hits on the target (or to see steel fall, an even more common mistake).

Here is the thing...you get so caught up in looking at the target to see if the holes are there, that you drop the gun down at the exact moment you tell yourself to pull the trigger. You think "right now"!!! And, before you can get the bullet out of the barrel, you've dropped the gun down to look.

- Follow thru (see the front sight lift).

- Call your shot.

- Trust your sights to tell you where the bullet went (don't look at the taget to confirm).

Most likely, you are "looking over the gun" trying to see your hits on the target (or to see steel fall, an even more common mistake).

That's my guess too. I've been shooting USPSA since 1995 and I am still trying keep my focus on my front sight consistently. The urge to look at the targets and see the holes (or lack of them) overpowers me all too often! Then the hits are almost always low (if I can get them).

For most people, it's the worst when you plan ahead of time to shoot just one, single shot. I think a good way to break the habit is to practice firing single shots, making sure to stare at the front sight, pin the trigger, then see the front sight again before releasing the trigger.

If you can place a whole magazine's hits into a paper plate at 30y during slow-fire...then it's not the gun (or ammo, no loose sights, no bad trigger, etc).

So, what does that leave?

If it is not the equipment...

So, it has to be the shooter, right?

You gotta ask, "what is different?"

Why does your technique change? Why aren't you getting the same hits that you get in slow-fire?

Where is your focus?

----------

Another thing.

Ask yourself how do you ever KNOW that you hit the target?

What do you use as your cue that it is OK to move on to the next shot...the next target?

If your answer is that, "I hear the bullet hit the steel"..."I see the steel fall"..."I see the holes in the paper"..."I just know my hits should be there at this distance"...

Likely, upon open awareness and deep reflection...the shooter will realize that they don't know where the shot went. They move on to the next shot because the timer is running and that is what they feel they are suppose to do.

Shooters need to find their sights. They need...they must...learn to trust their sights. The sights will tell them everything...they are the primary feedback loop to the shooter.

If your trust is looking for holes...or waiting/listening for steel...or, just not knowing...then that trust is misplaced.

Learn to trust the sights. Let them tell you everything.

Your sights will tell you exactly where your bullet went...if you let them guide you.

(Rhino's training technique of pinning the triger back and not releasing it until the sights return is a good learning tool for follow-thru.)

Fireant, I feel your pain... :( I seemed to run into this lately as well. One thing I did do was slow down a little bit and try to make SURE my sights were on target. The last match I shot I had far more A's than my previous match. Still, too many low shots, but at least most of them were low A's or C's... as opposed to D's or... MIKE'S!!! :angry: