Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How come we do not have any shoot offs?

Yagi

They used to... but over time, fewer and fewer shooters turned up to compete. It meant an extra day at the range and an extra day at the hotel for the shooters as the prize table was not done until after the shoot-off. Now the prizes are done the same day the match ends which reduces costs considerably for the contestants.

Well i understand the cost associated just like what BritinUSA says... but wouldn't it be fun ?

I mean look at this Texas Multi Gun ...

Is it really for the audience benefit?

Basically, because everyone wants to go home -- shooters, ROs, etc.

Shoot-offs tend to add at minimum another half day, and realistically another night in a hotel....

This - really. I work one and shoot one. I have to tell you after 7 SOLID days on Mars (what the desert sportsmen starts to look like wearing my action brown lenses in my rudy's) I could really care less and have skipped my jaunt to the prize table just to chill.

I also think they are unnecessary. I *may* be wrong, but I think they were there to fix the inequities of the stopwatch/stop plate timing early on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for shootoffs. Its instant gratification on winning or losing and it creates more pressure on the shooter. Its a lot of pressure to see another guy pulling ahead.

How about having the normal prize table and awards for everyone, but the top 3 of each division shoot off with supplied guns for seperate prizes. I think that would be cool because then the Open and Limited guys shoot against the Production guys with equal guns.

The guns could be supplied by sponsors and vary by match. One match, use a Glock, next match a M&P, next use a Predator Tactical 2011.

I can only tell you about my experiences from NRA Bianchi Cup.

They have had from the very beginning or from about 25years ago a speed shoot on the Saturday after the Competition (Wed - Fri) for extra prizes and money for the top 16, many who were invited to compete would bring an extra gun especially set up for that match just in case they got in the top 16. This has since expanded to include, top Jnr, Snr, Metallic, Production and Lady and reduced the number of competitors from Open at the shoot off to 4 or 8 (can't suddenly remember). As it was taking an age.

This was also in addition to any shootoffs for ties within each match that we shoot, all this was for extra prizes at the Formal Banquet that was held the Saturday after the Match, which usually ran fairly late.