Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Feeder Fireball!

So I had an interesting/scary experience reloading yesterday. After spraying aerosol Hornady One Shot into a freezer bag and mixing in some brass, I poured the contents into my case feeder. About half way through the bag, I had a huge surprise. Out of nowhere a large fireball erupted from my case feeder. It wasn't any kind of pop or explosion, just a whoosh like setting hair spray on fire. There were not any live primers (nor have there ever been) in the case feeder. The only thing I can figure is that there was still aerosol in the bag and the brass clinking caused a spark (either hitting each other or the metal screws leading to the clutch) and ignition occurred.

Thankfully, other than scorched arm hair and a toasted bag, there was no damage or injuries. I'll be going back to my normal method of dumping the brass into a box lid to dry before adding to the case feeder. Hope this helps others avoid a scare. I'd be interested if anyone else has ever had such an experience or has an alternative theory.

Edited by Jonathan Taliani

aliens!?

would not have thought that a spark would be possible from supposed non-sparking metal. but that's the only thing that i could come up with. glad you're okay.

Agreed. The only other thing I can think of is possibly static electricity, but it was relatively humid yesterday.

I want to see the video. I can tell you that you can get a spark from a plastic bag and static, if your lucky its only a ziploc with one shot in it. If your not lucky it's a 55gal trash bag full of Oxy/Act.

Just a small balloon filled with oxy/acetylene and a piece if toilet paper for a fuse, makes one hell of a boom, and rattles the rafters in a fab shop!!! Scares the hell outta some people and makes some confetti!!!

Glad you are ok!!!

Edited by Csiedmond1

This is why you should always allow the aerosol to "flash off" for a minute or two. In many cases, the solvent is flammable and in almost all cases (thanks, Greenies) the propellant is VERY flammable--often butane.