Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading the Witness Elite Limited 40 S&W

mrgreentie

I looked in the reloading section and could find only one post on this. I hear you need to load them long. I also hear you should use small rifle primers?

So... 40 S&W load info for the Witness Elite Limited?

What primers are you using?

What powder?

How much powder?

OAL?

Any info you can provide would rock.

As I understand, you only need to load long with older style mags. With new K40 mags you can load up to spec.

Tomorrow, Im actually gonna start loading some trial loads for my Match using small pistol primer, VV N320 powder and 180/200 gn Bayou bullets.

Just finished fished converting calibers on my 650.

I'm planning on buying a set of Henning competition mags. Will these allow me to load to spec?

I'm also ordering a conversion for my 650 (from 9mm). I'm pretty excited!

As I understand, you only need to load long with older style mags. With new K40 mags you can load up to spec.

Tomorrow, Im actually gonna start loading some trial loads for my Match using small pistol primer, VV N320 powder and 180/200 gn Bayou bullets.

I'm planning on buying a set of Henning competition mags. Will these allow me to load to spec?

I'm also ordering a conversion for my 650 (from 9mm). I'm pretty excited!

You should call Henning to ask, but as far as I know the mags that he is selling for .40 is still the old style Tanfoglio magazines the need you to load long. If they are, look for CHA-LEE's post about preventing nose dives by full length sizing the cartridge and loading to 1.225".

*for old style 10mm mags with Grams Engineering spring and follower and Henning base pads*

Most important is to use an EGW undersize die. I had no issues -NOT- full length sizing when using this die and loading to @1.19. For peace of mind when shooting a big match, I would full length size the brass, but have found it unnecessary.

I use Solo 1000 and Bayou 180s. I would start out at 4.5gr and work your way up.

I just ordered mags from Henning a month ago and they were the new K40 ones. I emailed ahead and asked as well to confirm this before I ordered, just to clear up any confusion.

Out of curiosity: Did you order the 21 round reloadable magazines ($95)?

mrgreentie,

Tried a bunch of different bullets and powders. Ended up with 3.4 gr of Hogdon Clays behind a Montana Gold 180gr HP, in a Win Nickle case and using a CCI Small Pistol primer. OAL is 1.130 with a modest taper crimp. This load fits all my 40s and is completely reliable in my K-10 mags. My pistol is a Hunter frame with a Limited 40 top end and using a 14lb recoil spring. Vel is 850 fps with and extreme spread of only 12fps. This load will shoot 1.5 in at 25yds, with very modest recoil. Shoots almost as well in my SIGs.

Hope this helps.

Personal lessons learned. Avoid any type of coated lead bullet. Some work, most don't and it takes hours to get the lead out unless you have a Foul Out system (expensive) or are willing to use some very caustic chemicals on (but low cost) your barrel. I shoot jacketed to avoid the problem altogether and the extra cost is like $20/1000 rounds. Others will have different opinions but this is my answer.

Best wishes.

10mmjunkie

e-mishka,

Have had very bad luck with them leading my Limited and Match barrels. Tried "Precision Bullets" with Aliant, AA and Hogdon powders. Fast, medium and even slow powders leaded barrel with every one of them. Tried Bayou Bullets twice. One batch happily did not lead the next one did. Ranier bullets did not lead but were never 10 ring accurate at distance. Have yet to try Berry's bullets because the cost is greater than just buying Montana Golds. All of these loads were target and practice velocity ammo, none exceeded 1050fps.

The difference in cost between the cheapest coated lead bullet and MGs is like $20/1000. Twenty bucks is well worth not having to spend several hours getting the lead out of my barrel or using some very caustic chemicals that if not completely removed will damage the barrel. Thus no love from 10mmjunkie for coated lead bullets. Others will have different experiences and greater affection for them.

Now if I only shot Sigs the story changes, but my primary target weapons are Tanfoglio pistols with polygonal barrels.

Respectfully,

10mmjunkie

I just ordered mags from Henning a month ago and they were the new K40 ones. I emailed ahead and asked as well to confirm this before I ordered, just to clear up any confusion.

Yup.

Yup.

Nice! That means that you got the updated H-141's that work with the K40s without the follower getting hung up at the bottom. Cool!

e mishka has it right. I recently sold an early Tanfo Limited that would have a feed failure on anything but 1.18+ ammo. I recently asked the buyer how it was working out for him. Said he was using the K40 mags and the gun would run anything he wanted to feed it. Sometimes an elegant solution pops up.