Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest possible recoil

TimG_SC

I want a target load with the lowest possible recoil for my wife's 1911. These rounds will only be for practice/target shooting no need to make major. I only have 230 gr bullets and clays powder. I also have an assortment of springs. Any suggestions?

I would start at hodgdon.com. Look at their minimum load with clays and use that. You may even be able to go lower, just to get the slide to work. I wouldn't worry about springs at first, it probably won't make much difference to her.

you only have 230's and clays,,, well you dont leave alot of room to answer your question. Use the lightest spring that will chamber a round from a topped off mag, then go buy some lighter bullets.

I thought that you were going to say that you've seen loads so light that the slide completes cycling before the bullet even hits a plate 40 feet away. I have, but the recipe according to shooter uses Win 231.

What's in the reloading manual and its predicted velocity? That would be a good starting point.

I looked up all the Hogdin Data before posting. Sorry I wasn't more clear...i was asking about going lower and the Hogdon data doesnt reference springs.

3.7gr is I think the Min according to Hodgdon. It's nice and soft, and probably under 700fps. But if you're just shooting paper at short range, it should be fine and not require swapping out springs.

I'd suggest going to a 185 or 200 grain bullet and loading it light. Lighter bullet will lower recoil effect better than running a 230 slowly. You can run the lighter bullet slower also. You will need a much lighter recoil spring either way. And, of course, lead bullet instead of jacketed.

I thought that you were going to say that you've seen loads so light that the slide completes cycling before the bullet even hits a plate 40 feet away. I have, but the recipe according to shooter uses Win 231.

A bit off topic, but that is normal. I have videos of me shooting 40 major with 180gr bullets and the gun cycles and is settling before you see the splat on the steel.

As for light target loads, about the lightest I've gone in 45 is a 230gr FMJ with 3.8 or so if Titegroup, at 1.231 OAL. Lightest I've gone in 40 is a 180gr fmj with 3.7gr WST at 1.190 OAL.

Just keep using less powder until you get the feel your looking for and the gun still cycles right. if you want it still light change the recoil spring and start again. I load 200 SWC in a 5" Kimber with 3.3 gr of clays for light target loads, springs you just need to keep swapping out because each gun slide is different.