Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok, so I had an itch

tackdr1ver

So,

I finally took the plunge and got myself a 2011. I have been wavering back and forth now for quite some time. Saw an opportunity and went for it. I have always wanted an SVI so when I saw one hit the classifieds last night I found myself saying "i'll take it" before I could even rationalize the purchase.

Anyway, I am coming from a glock 35 set up for limited. This is going to be interesting.

What do I need to know? What parts do I need to keep on hand? What sort of advice have you got for a first time 2011 guy? How do I keep it running in peak form?

I would make fun of you, but last week I went from shooting a stock M&P to a 6" lightened STI in 40. It's a switch I wish I made years ago. I can't offer any specifics except read up on here, find and make mags that run, and then shoot the heck out of it.

:cheers:

That is more or less how you have to do it.. if you think about it you will miss your shot.

As others have said you will want to keep some springs on hand to keep it going. You also need to accept right now... that it may have some small issues till you get it all dialed in. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

The only other thing is mags.. do not skimp on mags.

This all pretty much what got me on my first 2011 that I jumped into. I had some other thing going on and when I had some issues out of the gate I got frustrated and it was sold. I still regret selling it but I will get another one before too long.. especially if I keep hanging out here.

I recently did the same thing. I would recommend brazos tuned mags. I bought a set and haven't had any trouble. I would recommend a spare fitted extractor as well as a slide stop and possibly a thumb safety as well. I had an extractor go at the second uspsa match I shot and did not have a spare. I installed an aftec and haven't looked back. Good luck.

Thanks very much for the tips!

I'll look into some springs and an extractor. My coach is going to help me break the gun down to the "sub atomic" level and help me get familiar with everything. Trying not to bog him down with 8 billion more questions than usual. As far as the mags go: the gun comes with 5 dawson super tuned mags and one svi mag with a wedge basepad. I do not know jack about the mags but I would guess they are more than adequate?

Sounds like you got a great complete setup. I would think that would all be more than adequate!

Make sure you update how you like it and how it runs.

Will do! It *should* be here today, I can barely contain myself. Work is going to go by realllly slow today in anticipation of running to the FFL when I get off!

Those days SUCK... I keep the tracking up most of the day... my FFL does not even call me anymore. Well one time he did cause I did not have time that day to run out to his place. He thought I forgot I had one coming.

It is worth it though, better than Christmas when you get to play with the new toy!

I went from an SV to XD for Production. I really missed my thumb safety. It is a great place! I am going back to my SV guns next week. No more Production for me.

With SV parts, I am still running the same trigger controls after 50K rounds. It still has a sub 2 lb trigger.

I have changed out the recoil springs. It should almost be a yearly thing, like changing the battery in your smoke detector. You do it whether it needs it or not. I run a pretty light spring but I know others that run 9 lb. Buy a few and try them out.

Magazine parts; followers, springs and base pads are a mystery to me. I have some of everyone's; grams, dawson, bolen, and SV.

They all work just fine. BTW: I only use SV mags.

I use VV 320 powder exclusively. It is not cheap but clean and accurate for me.

I tend to Zero bullets loaded around 1.18 OAL

180 JHP - 4.8

200 TN - 4.4

I make major easily. I could reduce the load another .1 or so and still make major.