Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making my own HD hat cam for <$40

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of velcroing it to a hat brim, how about veclroing it to your hearing protection?

possible, but then can't see the indicator lights, no easy way to confirm on/off/recording without removing your hearing protection to look.

• 1 month later...

I used a metal paper clip which i mounted the little camera too. Then i put it in the center of my muffs. Set the camera to one button recording. It works pretty well. I'm more interested in documenting a stage then say a view of right down my sights. Goto to youtube and type in "Liftedranger classifer stage 1" to see what it looks. Like mind you i let youtube take down the quality on upload.

Instead of velcroing it to a hat brim, how about veclroing it to your hearing protection?

possible, but then can't see the indicator lights, no easy way to confirm on/off/recording without removing your hearing protection to look.

• 2 years later...

Yes i use mine all the time. You can see the footage here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvyb4e0gVaTAAkD5VNCO6g

it seems that the 808 have somewhat morphed into Mobius action camera. And the price is getting up there too.

Those came out pretty good! Using velcro to attach? Top or underside of hat brim? Edited by G19

• 2 weeks later...

I actually used one of those black binder clips. laid the camera across it and used a small machine screw threw one of the silver loops. Then i opened up the clip and put it over my ear muff headband in the center. The problem i ran into was i needed to make a spacer to actually lift the camera up. So i cut the head and threads off of a bolt to use the smooth round part as the spacer. Slipped it in between the top part of the binder clip and the headband. The reason i did this is b/c i usually tip my head down just a little when shooting. Zip tied the two silver parts of the clip together in the back. Set it to record when u turn it on and there we go.

If i remember i'll take a picture of the setup

The model of the camera was the 808 16. Normal lens version.

The only issue i've had with it was the battery life wasn't that great. I've actually got a contour roam 2 that i'm going to start using. Mainly b/c it's a little more robust. And the battery life is way better. When i got the 808 I payed around 30 bucks for it. It seems that they have gotten more expensive as of late.

Yes i use mine all the time. You can see the footage here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvyb4e0gVaTAAkD5VNCO6g

it seems that the 808 have somewhat morphed into Mobius action camera. And the price is getting up there too.

Those came out pretty good! Using velcro to attach? Top or underside of hat brim?

I took the plunge and bought the model with a wide angle lense and the 820ma battery. I was impressed with the video and sound qualit. I used the mount that it comes with to attach it to the front edge of the bill of my hat. I drilled 4 small holes in the bill and zip-tied the mount to it. The only issue I have is it needs to be aimed a little higher like you mentioned. I will add the small velcro pieces that came with the camera under the front and reattach the mount before my next match.

I used the movie maker that comes on microsoft os. Very easy to edit and quick to upload to youtube

Good thread, thank you for the info

You'll have to link your videos when you start uploading them. I really like the video that i was able to take. I liked the normal lens b/c It gives you a better sense of the actual distance than the wide angle lens that does the fish eye. The contour does this in 720p but it's not as bad as some of the gopro footage I've saw.

I've used movie maker and it's a nice simple way to edit. Basically your just trimming the videos and then connecting them anyways.

USPSA at H&H 5-24-15: https://youtu.be/3C-JnLLJxLcIndoor match

Cloudy to sunny outdoor steel challenge

Steel Challenge at USSA 5-25-15: https://youtu.be/Ixn1DFdkYAQ

You may have to copy paste to get the links to work. I'm using mobile version from my phone

Enjoy a good laugh or two. I'm using my videos to learn and get better...not to show how good I'm not lol