Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 JM Pro 22" Loading Problem

lsr1238

Picked up my new Mossberg 930 JM Pro 22" yesterday and can't load pass 5 shells. I'm using the weighted dummy rounds from Brownells, if that makes a difference. I opened up the magazine tube, seems like it's smooth between the magazine tube and the tube extension. I called Mossberg, they said to oil at the intersection of the magazine tube and tube extension, tried that and it didn't work. Any recommendations?

Did you try removing the end cap and spring and try loading past 5 this way? Or simply pushing the follower past that point? I bet it's hanging up on the junction of the magazine tube and Nordic extension. I haven't had any problems loading mine, but I get quite a few follower "hang-ups" at the 5-th round when manually unloading the gun during dry-fire practice. I haven't done anything about it yet because I'm hoping it won't be an issue during live fire, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Yes I've removed the end cap, placed in all 8 shells in the tube with no problem. Even watched the follower advance pass the junction of the magazine tube and Nordic extension by removing the end cap and spring, leaving the follower in the bottom, and loading the tube with 8 shells and it didn't hang up. I've now tried several types of ammo and it still won't load pass 5 shells. All are 2 3/4" shells. I thought it was the follower hanging up at the junction of the magazine tube and the Nordic extension but I can't seem to find where it's hanging up. Also thought it was the spring being too long. I've used extension tubes in my other shotguns but I've never had it hang up this bad.

Yes I've removed the end cap, placed in all 8 shells in the tube with no problem. Even watched the follower advance pass the junction of the magazine tube and Nordic extension by removing the end cap and spring, leaving the follower in the bottom, and loading the tube with 8 shells and it didn't hang up. I've now tried several types of ammo and it still won't load pass 5 shells. All are 2 3/4" shells. I thought it was the follower hanging up at the junction of the magazine tube and the Nordic extension but I can't seem to find where it's hanging up. Also thought it was the spring being too long. I've used extension tubes in my other shotguns but I've never had it hang up this bad.

Could be the spring hanging up if there is a small gap between the tube and extension.

Had the same problem with mine. The factory tube and the Nordic tube aren't exactly the same size, so the transition isn't smooth. I took some fine sand paper and beveled the inside of the factory tube and the outside edge of the back of the follower, and I've put over 200rds through it since then without any problem.

Edited by dogdoc

Thanks for the suggestions. The follower I think is aluminum, some kind of metal. The spring end is flat but I remember reading a thread on here about having the spring end bent up??? Think it was in regards to a 930SPX. I'll try to put a bevel on the inside edge of the factory tube and the outside edge of the follower.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the suggestions. The follower I think is aluminum, some kind of metal. The spring end is flat but I remember reading a thread on here about having the spring end bent up??? Think it was in regards to a 930SPX. I'll try to put a bevel on the inside edge of the factory tube and the outside edge of the follower.

Did you fix this problem ??? I'm having the same hang ups... I even bought a Nordic Follower which cured my problem but I lost 1 round capacity.

I beveled the main mag tube and even expanded it a few thousands of an inch wider; to no avail but it doesnt seem to hang up on live fire only when dry firing...

• 2 months later...

Make sure the mag tube extention is installed correctly. Tighten the tube and then the "collar" on the extention tube to the mag tube.

The Nordic tube and collar is one piece. I found the best practice is to align the tube with 5 dummy shells installed. Don't over tighten. I also noticed alot of the slight mis alignment issues has to do with the front flat surface of the fore end. If not perpendicular to the face of the Nordic tube collar it cocks the tube.

Make sure the mag tube extention is installed correctly. Tighten the tube and then the "collar" on the extention tube to the mag tube.

I had a similar issue and found that the extension tube and collar were not tightened completely from the factory. Remove the clamp and the extension and make sure the tube is screwed all the way into the collar, then re install the extension. Since then I have been able to dry fire without the shells hanging up. I am using a Nordic follower and a Nordic XXL cap which gets me 9+1 in the gun.

My JM Pro actually had a dent in the magazine tube where it connected with the extension. After I repaired that I still had some problems and my follower would even get stuck after it loaded the last shell.

My solution: Ditch the crappy follower that came with the gun and replace it with a GG&G follower from MidwayUSA. Now the gun runs great, loading is easy, and the follower has zero problems.

My JM Pro actually had a dent in the magazine tube where it connected with the extension. After I repaired that I still had some problems and my follower would even get stuck after it loaded the last shell.

Follower has been a problem I beveled the sharp edges on mine cured the problem. As for the Nordic tube the collar is removable.post-41302-0-82035200-1355318777_thumb.j

OK, had some time to thoroughly inspect the inside of the collar and tube. There was a dent inside that was indeed locking the threads tight. I ended up using a metal pick to gently lift the dent and get it unscrewed. So yes the extension is a 2 piece.

I repaired the dent clean the threads with a thread file reassembled and tried the Nordic follower which I had no previous luck with and at this point still don't...

Installed the stock follower again which I had previously beveled and smoothed, works without issue.