Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the causes of FTF's

Canman

I load quite a bit of lead, but not all. I generally only clean my dies every 10k rounds or so. I usually use brake cleaner, seems to really cut through the lead lube.

I would be afraid the brake cleaner would strip all the oils off and tend to lead to rusting.

I tend to pull mine apart and clean with the correct size bore snake. Same one I use on the guns.

Heh, maybe I also should have added in my lubing procedure, after cleaning the lead wax and crap out of the dies with brake cleaner, I usually give them a squirt of silicone spray before re-assembling. I live in a pretty dry area, so even without the lube there isn't much risk for rusting.

Makes sense to me.

I just replaced my old rusted RCBS dies on the .45 tool head for a brand new set of dillon this week. I didn't treat the 30 year old dies very well at all.

Failure to feed. I had three in about 150 rounds fired. One the slide stopped just before it was chambered. The other two the slide stopped on top of the round. It ejected the spent one and failed to catch the next round. I am using reloads mixed brass, 230 lrn 4gn Bullseye with CCI primers. 1.23 OAL 0.44 crimp Sig TacOps with about 300 rds fired so far.

I am highly suspect of one of the mags that came with it. Got it marked for the next range trip. Had them marked with permanent marker but Gunzilla gun oil took it off faster than I put it on there.

Canman,

It would really help if you take a minute and familiarize yourself with common verbiage for auto pistol malfs. Here is a thread that will help.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ebb=showflat&Number=51276#Post51276 (1911 malfuctions - photo reference)

Your post is still too vague to help much. "Just before it chambered" I think you may be talking about the slide stopping the last 1/4" or so before it is fully closed? If so, that is usually an ammo problem, and since you are not loading very long I will assume the chamber is throated properly for that load. "Failed to catch the next round" That sounds like a bolt over malfunction and is usually the mag spring too light or worn out, or the load is too light or the recoil spring is too heavy for the load.

A good general rule of thumb is to start off using known good mags like Wilson, Tripp, CMC power mags etc....... Too often, the mags that come with factory guns will have problems.

Edited by tpcdvc

Failure to feed. I had three in about 150 rounds fired. One the slide stopped just before it was chambered. The other two the slide stopped on top of the round. It ejected the spent one and failed to catch the next round. I am using reloads mixed brass, 230 lrn 4gn Bullseye with CCI primers. 1.23 OAL 0.44 crimp Sig TacOps with about 300 rds fired so far.

I am highly suspect of one of the mags that came with it. Got it marked for the next range trip. Had them marked with permanent marker but Gunzilla gun oil took it off faster than I put it on there.

The mags that come with the SIGs are some of the best out there (Checkmate Ext hybrid mags). Meanwhile, your load looks to be lighter than Alliants recommended start for FMJ and the crimp number looks wrong. Will the gun run factory ammo?

You may also want to check your reloads with a case gauge, if you do not have a case gauge, remover the barrel from your gun and drop the rounds in, they should fall in freely. This will help find crimping problems as well as build up in the chamber.