Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should IDPA allow appendix carry?

ProGunGuy

The current fad Tacticool Appendix Carry method the OP is talking about is inside the waist band by the way. It has the "boys" a little better boresighted than your typical large offset USPSA legal appendix rig. That is the one I am most concerned with.

USPSA appendix holsters (not talking about the CR type, the old school leather and kydex ones) are also quite different in design than IDPA generally allows. most of them violate the 3/4" rule for starters, plus it would be near impossible to conceal them using a vest or jacket and do the Walmart test (hands straight out, level to the ground.)

FWIW, USPSA allowed cross draw when I started in the sport. (and they still may) Try to get a MD to allow it though.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

The current fad Tacticool Appendix Carry method the OP is talking about is inside the waist band by the way. It has the "boys" a little better boresighted than your typical large offset USPSA legal appendix rig. That is the one I am most concerned with.

USPSA appendix holsters (not talking about the CR type, the old school leather and kydex ones) are also quite different in design than IDPA generally allows. most of them violate the 3/4" rule for starters, plus it would be near impossible to conceal them using a vest or jacket and do the Walmart test (hands straight out, level to the ground.)

FWIW, USPSA allowed cross draw when I started in the sport. (and they still may) Try to get a MD to allow it though.

Ted

With all due respect Ted, it is NOT a new form of carry unless you consider 30yrs new. It has just been recently brought to light in the IDPA area.

To answer JAR's question, read your question again Jeff and the answer is in there. IDPA set the rules of behind the center line to set themselves off from another sport. I personally feel from what I see, it is a very good rule due to the people I see coming out to matches. They are NOT the typical forum member from here and need as much regulation for safety reasons as they can get.

Appendix carry has been around for a long time and will remain for concealed carry. As a IWB carry for an IDPA match, I can not watch the gun as a SO and I am afraid I am a little uncomfortable with that. I have worked with people that carry a gun as part of their job. Having run their training, if you can make me nervous on the line, you are really doing something :surprise:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I never said it was new, just a current fad.

People reinvent the wheel all the time. This is appendix carry's time as it has gotten popular in certain tacticool circles.

Funny part is, the biggest appendix carry guy I know just quit doing it. He got an office job and put on 20 pounds.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

... I personally feel from what I see, it is a very good rule due to the people I see coming out to matches. They are NOT the typical forum member from here and need as much regulation for safety reasons as they can get.

... As a IWB carry for an IDPA match, I can not watch the gun as a SO and I am afraid I am a little uncomfortable with that.

Yup. Our IDPA club does a lot to bring in new shooters. SOs see shooters with poor finger and muzzle disipline. A lot of the time it's as much about teaching them safety as it is shooting.

Ted

The 'tacticool' AIWB is perfectly legal in USPSA too, it's just not common, because most USPSA shooters are there for the game. I know there are some people who'd rather shoot IDPA philosophy wise, but shoot USPSA because their actual carry gear is legal there and not in IDPA.

Jar,

I never said IWB was illegal. But I cannot remember the last time I saw an IWB at a USPSA match (and I run a monthly USPSA match) so I considered it rather immaterial for the discussion at hand.

With regards to people wanting to shoot IDPA but have illegal gear. I had some hipster come to my IDPA match this month to proudly tell me his gear was illegal for IDPA so he would not be shooting tonight. I asked him what it was, and it was a full-size ported 9mm handgun. My thought at the time was why you want to port a full size carry 9mm? I'm trying to decide why he told me that because he honestly believed he had the best carry gear or he wanted me to see how comfortable he was on his cross.

My carry holster and mag pouch is not IDPA legal either, but I just switch them out for when i shoot. Everyone has a different plan on that one though, but I am not very rigid on such things.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

Although my daily carry is appendix carry, I would NOT like to see it in competition. Too many people have trouble drawing from the hip never mind appendix. :wacko: .

As for cross draw, well I really like that but again, NOT in IDPA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMFM8SeW51E

out of town right now..but that shooter in this clip was an IPSIC shooter..any remember his name??

Jim Zubiena

Yeah...why would you want to allow anything that useful into a sport that's supposed to be based on defensive handgun use?

There's nothing unsafe about it, and not being able to shoot from where I carry means that I, and a LOT of other folks will not do the whole IDPA thing-even though there are many appealing aspects.

Exactly my thoughts many people are way to serious about IDPA I thought only "USPSA" had "GAMERS". The purpose of IDPA is getting lost its only reinforces some of my opinions about IDPA.

Edited by deerassassin22