Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintaining last round?

MarkR

The ammo flipping does occasionally strike me funny when you get someone who looks like they've worked on that skill more than their shooting. Also, when someone really screws up a stage, they will be even more intent on snappily going through their round flipping routine. No big deal, just sometimes it looks a little funny. Mark

I know this is frowned on by some. I shoot open and limited and turn the gun with the ejection port up and rack the slide and catch the bullet in my left hand. If I happen to miss it stays on the ground.

Me too ! :D

You don't have to flip, you don't have to wear yellow shirts, but let's be honest about why you don't like it. You don't like it because it is unsafe only for the guy who doesn't know how to do it. I agree with you there but for a guy who does know how to do it safely, it is probably the safest way to unload the gun...

I know how to flip safely, if, by that, you mean having the round go up and to the rear consistently in a muzzle safe direction where catching the round will not take my eyes off the gun or compromise gun control.

I still don't do it. My personal choice.

Think about it logically and step by step ...

You rack the gun using the rear serrations with the ejection port upwards. You let go of the slide and catch the round. You re-rack the slide and hold open in order to show clear to the RO.

Ummmm ... Someone explain the issue? Where/how is going to blow up? Other than where the round goes/lands and the speed at which it is done, mechanically speaking (mechanics and action of the gun), how is that different than racking the slide and having it drop out?

IMO hand over the ejection port is way more of a safety issue than flipping the round. I do it and practice with dummy rounds while dry firing. I don't practice it specifically, but just as I go along through my drills.

drop the mag into your non-shooting hand, put it in your pocket temporarily, and cup your last two fingers of your dominant hand under the magwell so it doesnt drop to the ground when you rack it the first time...then catch the round, put it in your pocket and rack the slide one more time to show the RO, hammer down and holster.

But if your awesome flip it ;)

drop the mag into your non-shooting hand, put it in your pocket temporarily, and cup your last two fingers of your dominant hand under the magwell so it doesnt drop to the ground when you rack it the first time...then catch the round, put it in your pocket and rack the slide one more time to show the RO, hammer down and holster.

But if your awesome flip it ;)

This is the method that's started the entire "you'll blow your fingers off" comment right?

:sight: