Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 load question

karlglen101

Hello. I have a Rem 1100 Tac 4 that I'm going to start using for 3 gun this year. What type of loads are you guys loading up for bird and buck shot? I had a problem with some of my gun club 7oz. trap loads last year. I just replaced the carrier follower spring, but haven't had it back out on the range to try it out.

Edit: I should have noted that I'm reloading myself, and am looking for recipes to use with the Gun Club hulls that I already have (in particular). I WOULD like to know what works for your Rem, also.

Edited by karlglen101

Stick with a 1 1/8 oz 3 DE (1200 fps) loads and your 1100 should function just fine. This is the original Trap load so you should find a book full of recipes. Over the years I've used 700x, WST, Solo 1000 and Clays powder along with Winchester AA wads and had good results with all.

A 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz , 2 3/4DE (1145 fps) load might function as well. You'll just need to shoot some to know for sure.

Last week after installing an ezloader I bought a box of the cheapest shells Walmart had. 2.75 dram #8. Some ran fine some would stove pipe in the gun.

Walmart Winchester shotshells are crap. Federals and Remingtons should work OK. Try good ammo before blaming the gun.

Stovepiping often indicates insufficient gas to fully cycle the gun. This can happen due to weak ammo (see above), a worn o-ring, damaged piston rings, dirty/blocked barrel gas ports, or gas ports that are too small for the ammo; for example, the slug barrels have small gas ports suitable for full-power slugs, and typically do not run well with birdshot competition loads unless the ports are enlarged.

The main problem I see with EZ Loaders is the bolt closing when the gun is empty (cured by proper fitting and by shortening the EZL).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have not run much more than a couple of boxes of each through my 7 year old but previously unfired 1100 CM but the cheap Fed & Rem worked 100% and Winchester did not. The Winchester may work fine once the gun is fully broken in but I am not going to worry about it as Fed & Rem is available and the same price. My old 1100 I shoot skeet with runs them all just fine. I have not run any buck or slugs through the CM yet. Nor have I fired it since installing the ezloader last weekend. I am just getting ramped up for 3-gun and getting the bugs worked out of my guns and gear (and the guy operating them).