Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measure bar

The powder bar selection is dependent on how much powder you are using in your loads. Based on your coment about using a 550, it would be the small bar for 3-5 grains of powder. The ranges for each bar are listed on page 15 in the manual.

Edited by Dirty Rod

The powder bar selection is dependent on how much powder you are using in your loads. Based on your coment about using a 550, it would be the small bar for 3-5 grains of powder. The ranges for each bar are listed on page 15 in the manual.

Gotcha... So with loads from 5.5 to 6.5 it would be better to use the bigger bar? More accurate?

NicVerAZ,

You really need to read the manual page 15.

About Powder Bars:

Dillon Precision manufactures four types of powder bars.

1. Extra Small – use for dropping less than 3 grains of powder

2. Small – use for dropping 3 to 20 grains of powder 3. Large – use for dropping 20 to approximately 45 to 50 grains of powder

4. Magnum – use for dropping 50 or more grains of powder

The extra small powder bar is used when loading .32 Auto, .32 S&W and .32 SWL. Both the extra small powder bar and the magnum powder bar are non-standard items and are ordered separately. The large and small powder bar are standard equipment and are included with every reloader.

Good luck,

.Marc

A few things to check:

First, be sure the hopper is at least 3/4 full when you start. Throw about 15 charges and dump them back, then start weighing the charge. Next, be sure the powder bar is completing full travel before the handle bottoms out. The case mouth should be flared about .010" larger than a sized, unflared case. Also, be sure the return rod is completely returning the powder bar to pick up the next charge. A rule of thumb is that when you push forward on the handle, as if seating a primer, the spring above the blue wing nut should be compressed to almost, but not quite a solid.

A few things to check:

First, be sure the hopper is at least 3/4 full when you start. Throw about 15 charges and dump them back, then start weighing the charge. Next, be sure the powder bar is completing full travel before the handle bottoms out. The case mouth should be flared about .010" larger than a sized, unflared case. Also, be sure the return rod is completely returning the powder bar to pick up the next charge. A rule of thumb is that when you push forward on the handle, as if seating a primer, the spring above the blue wing nut should be compressed to almost, but not quite a solid.

I made a post of my own since I was having inconsistancies myself. I've verified all you've said and the issue still remained. I'm about to start polishing the pieces as others suggested.

The only thing I noticed (Which is noted in my thread) is that the inconsistancies only occur with specific drops. ie: the load is 3.7gr, then I see 3.4-3.9. If the load is 4.2 then it's 4.1-4.3. (Using those numbers as an example only)

In the second case, obviously it's acceptable, though in MY specific case, it was almost almost 4.2. The first load is a major issue as that's a large variation.