Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much?

Griz

I don't know why, but it annoys me when friends offer to pay me for doing them a favor.

I sometimes machine custom parts for friends and they always ask if they can pay me. My standard answer is that I don't do machine work for hire and if I did they couldn't afford it, but they usually ask again a couple more times. I know they are just trying to be considerate, but it still annoys me.

I think next time I'll quote $100/hr just to see a buddy squirm :devil:

If they really wanna pay, lunch after the match is always a good jesture. Your not really taking their money, and they feel like they gave you something for your time. Kinda like the customary, a gunsafe move paid for in beer

I do this. I don't mind a friend says that I do not owe them anything, but I am always going to make the offer. I don't want friends feeling that I am taking advantage of them, their skill sets, or the equipment their job might give them access to.

Guess you wouldn't like me either! They are just trying to show how grateful they are for what you did. How would you feel if they just picked u the part and said thanks as they walked out the door? They can offer to pay ten times and all you have to do is say no ten times. I am sure they would be happy to pay and they feel like they showed thier appriceation by trying.

Mildot

This is turning into a discussion so it'll probably get locked, but to clarify, the reason I hate being *repeatedly* asked "how much" is kind of selfish.

I have no interest in doing hobby work for hire. I have a day job that pays well and I highly value my leisure time! I don't want people thinking that they can buy my leisure time, it's not for sale! But I enjoy helping out a friend if I have skills or equipment to get something done that he can't do himself.

I appreciate being asked once, and when I reply "just pay it forward", that should be the end of it. Don't embarrass me.

A good way to look at it...IMO

Pr 11:25 ¶ The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.

Watereth? :surprise:(insert Monty Python emoticon)

Edited by Youngeyes