Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removal of internal lock is now IDPA legal?

TacticalReload

First off, my apologies if this has been posted before... I hunted around but couldn't find it.

I know it has been mentioned previously that removal of the IL is ILLEGAL in IDPA because it was ruled as disabling a safety. However, according to this: http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/8655/Locks-Disconnectors-Safeties#.T3Boynh8vww -- it appears that it has since been ruled legal. This is good news for people who have dramatically reduced hammer mass. There is still some fuzziness in the explanation though since it only talks about the "flag" and not the whole lock mechanism.

Opinions?

I'm planning on shooting a 627 in production occasionally and hope the USPSA rules follow this. They state all safeties must still function. But calling it a LOCK instead of a SAFETY would solve the problem. This would only make a difference to a very few shooters you are shooting 627's in production, so it probably won't be addressed by USPSA.

I'm planning on shooting a 627 in production occasionally and hope the USPSA rules follow this. They state all safeties must still function. But calling it a LOCK instead of a SAFETY would solve the problem. This would only make a difference to a very few shooters you are shooting 627's in production, so it probably won't be addressed by USPSA.

If you want a ruling, just ask Amidon for one.

Seems like I just read about this in my USPSA rulebook, but I can't find it now. No lock is good for USPSA, can't say for IDPA. I would like to know, as I want my 625 to be legal for both.

The rule change is in the works for approval that the lock is not a saftey and does not have to work. It has not been approved yet as I understand, but should be soon, along w/a lot of other rule changes. The ILS system in the Springers and mag disconnects are in that group to be changed.

Seems like I just read about this in my USPSA rulebook, but I can't find it now. No lock is good for USPSA, can't say for IDPA. I would like to know, as I want my 625 to be legal for both.

If I understand correctly lock removal OK for USPSA revolver class but USPSA production rules state all safeties must still work. It is a question if the lock is a safety or a lock. Granted most revolver shooters stay in revolver class some do shoot 8 shot guns in production class. IDPA I don't know about other than what is posted here.

You can run a 6, 7, or 8 shot in ESR or SSR, but can only have 6 rounds in the gun at any time in idpa. Its not worth trying to run a 6+ revo in idpa. You'll also have a hard time finding a 627 with a 4" barrel.

Of all my USPSA, ICORE and IDPA revos, only one has the internal lock removed. The rest have never had a problem with them.

As far as the internal lock question. Go ahead and remove it. Let the idpa inspectors make a official ruling on it. The only time you'll have to worry about being inspected is at a bigger match, and the inspectors aren't the most knowledgeable on revos

Edited by JohnRodriguez

You'll also have a hard time finding a 627 with a 4" barrel.

There are plenty of 4" 627's. The 627 Pro is a 4". You have to be carefull when you jump on an ad with a great price for a 627, many times it turns out to be a 4" Pro model.