Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear Damaged?

jringels

I started a thread on the Tanfoglio Shop board, probably more appropriate here.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148221&st=0&gopid=1667782entry1667782

Help! I bought a new sear from EAA, installed it today and now the Single Action trigger pull works fine, the hammer cleanly falls. When I pull Double Action, at a fast speed, the hammer falls cleanly. When I pull Double Action, at a normal or slow speed, the hammer falls and catches on the 1/2 cocked hooks. If I release the trigger and pull again, the hammer falls cleanly. I'm not sure if the hammer falls from the 1/2 cocked hooks or goes full cocked and then falls, but I think it falls from 1/2 cocked.

When I placed the order, they called and asked the serial number of my gun, to make sure I got the right one.

What should I do? See a smith? Dry fire to work it in? I'm afraid excessive dry firing will wear the sear and get me back to where I started from (but that is another thread!). Maybe there is something else going on with the alignment of the sear and hammer that the previous owner 'fitted' the sear to the hammer.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Big oops. The DA pull works perfectly, either slow or fast. The SA is the problem. Squeezing the trigger with the hammer back drops the hammer to the 1/2 cock position. If I continue to squeeze, the hammer goes back to full cock and then falls fine. If I squeeze quiclk in SA, the hammer hits the 1/2 cock and then I squeeze through and the hammer continues on normally.

If I put in the original worn sear, it functions fine. If I cock the hammer, then rack the slide all the way while holding the trigger down, the hammer does not follow.

After 50 dry fires, the new sear is starting to show wear in the same spots as the original sear.

its hitting the half cock notch for sure? or is it hitting the disconnector.

I ask only because you describe as once it hits if you pull the trigger the hammer moves back and drops.

You need to consider the Sear and Hammer as a wearing pair of parts. Just like brake pads and rotors on a car. If one is worn out then the other is as well. You should replace both the Sear and Hammer at the same time so you have "Fresh" parts interacting with one another. Not a "Fresh" sear getting beat to crap by worn out hammer hooks.

The stock sear and hammer are only surface hardened. Once you wear through the surface hardening the parts wear out quickly and will not hold their intended shape. This is why its important to replace both the sear and hammer at the same time.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I do not know how to tell if it is hitting the 1/2 cock hook or the disconnector. Do you mean "interruptor"? I see one of those on the parts diagram :) .

With the new sear in and the gun fully cocked, if I push down on the long leg of the sear, the hammer falls fine. ALSO, if I push the 'trigger bar' to the right side of the frame, the hammer falls fine! If I push the bar to the left, or leave it alone, the hammer stops at the 1/2 hooks.

It has to have something to do with the sear, no? If I put the original sear back in, it works fine.

I understand about the sear and the hammer wearing as a pair. I do not see much wear on the hammer.

Thank you again for your help.

The difference you are seeing between pushing the trigger bar to the right vs. trigger bar on the center or the left, the effect you are seeing is no due to the sear, but the "slop" of fit the sear cage to the frame.

Thanks Skydiver.

I edited my post from yesterday to include the fact that holding the bar to the right allows the SA to function fine WHEN I PULL THE TRIGGER.

It must have something to do with the sear because when I put back the original/worn sear, it does not matter if I move the bar left/right, the SA pull works fine.

Thanks Cha-Lee. I didn't know it isn's a drop-in. I like to learn and this forum is a GREAT resource, but no substitute for a competent gunsmith. I think I have learned that I am at this point. I like fixing things and understanding how things work, but this can quickly become a safety issue. Thanks to all.