Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a little help on my comp choice.

donnyglock

Heres the deal guys. I'm building a new open gun(my second). It's between the azone comp which is just like the Dawson and the new Akai comp. The gun is full size 10.5 oz slide and chambered for 9mm major. There are no holes in the barrel. Guys I need some input on these comps.

My other open gun has the trubor barrel with Brazos cuts in the comp. Its 9mm also and seems flat enough with sil powder.

I've got an 18 year old open gun in 38 super and I'm looking to install a new barrel/comp in 9mm to to take advantage of the cheaper brass.

I've read through almost every compensator related thread written in the past two years. About the only consensus I could find was that it's all a personal preference. Pick a cool-looking comp, develop a load and practice :devil:

So I'm picking the Akai Shoto comp because it's cool and it's new. Then I'll test the new and old set-up with a timer and see if I get any improvement in my Bill Drills and transition drills. Even if I don't see any sort of performance increase, at least I'll get to use the cheaper 9mm brass :roflol:

I just picked up the Shoto comp but since I can't find a barrel, it's just sitting in a box. Since I have shot one of the Akai guns (Katana) and I really like it, I picked up this comp to add to the update I'm doing on my Open gun. I will probably sell this at the end of the year and get a Katana but right now, his comps seem to be great.

LIke you said, it seems like it is personal preference and working the right load with the gun setup you have. I have also read some excellent reviews about the Dawson DP2 and that would probably be my second choice.

Good luck!

Hello: I have the Dawson, Akai, Brazos, Bedell, M2i comps. I intend to try them all on the same pistol this summer. The Dawson and M2i comps are the heaviest of the bunch but can be lightened some. The Akai is the lightest then the Brazos and Bedell. There are features I like in all of these comps but untill I try them I will not be able to tell what works the best for me. Alot of the comp has to do with the complete package of slide weight, barrel length and the important part of load/bullet weight. Lastly I think looks has something to do with how you feel about shooting the pistol. If it looks cool to you then it must be great :devil: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I have the Dawson, Akai, Brazos, Bedell, M2i comps. I intend to try them all on the same pistol this summer. The Dawson and M2i comps are the heaviest of the bunch but can be lightened some. The Akai is the lightest then the Brazos and Bedell. There are features I like in all of these comps but untill I try them I will not be able to tell what works the best for me. Alot of the comp has to do with the complete package of slide weight, barrel length and the important part of load/bullet weight. Lastly I think looks has something to do with how you feel about shooting the pistol. If it looks cool to you then it must be great :devil: Thanks, Eric

Look forward to the comp test-o-rama! When my gun gets finished we can add it to the test bed!

Hello: The test will be using the same barrel and just changing out the comps. I have 3 comps fitted to the slide so far. It takes time to fit the comps to the barrel and slide. Powder and bullet weight change the way a comp feels alot. Thanks, Eric