Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major load data with hs6

Dlsvt

Just went and got some and best I can tell 6.8 is suggested max. Looks like some are loading up to 8.0grs

Any load data to make major for a 34?

I'd start at 6.8 and work up slowly

with a chronograph. Look for signs

of over pressure - test accuracy.

That's with a 124 grain JHP bullet???

Right?

Lots of load data out there for 9 major using HS6, thing called search.

First understand that 9 major is not in any load book, further while I shoot it all the time 2K rds a month, no one will tell you that it is safe.

Below loads are from my load book and Crono tested, using SPP and ONCE FIRED BRASS. Any use of multi fired brass is just risky.

124gr MTG CMJ 8.3gr HS6 set 1.165 @173 pf. Suggest start load at 7.8gr then work up.

115gr ZERO FMJ 8.8gr HS6 set 1.165 @165.335 pf.

Above are from STI 4.13" barrel, no holes Brazos ThunderComp II. Full size guns will produce a slightly higher pf.

I am new to this and thought you could ask questions. Ihave spent hours on this forum searching and found about 50 different answers. No matter what I am starting low I was hoping to find someone with the same setup as me that had been there before. Thanks for your info

I am new to this and thought you could ask questions. Ihave spent hours on this forum searching and found about 50 different answers. No matter what I am starting low I was hoping to find someone with the same setup as me that had been there before. Thanks for your info

You aren't going to find many shooters running major in a Glock 34. If it does not have a fully supported chamber, you are going to be hunting for plastic pieces parts. I've had a glock shooter or two pickup one of my ULSC rounds and the next thing you know thier pants are brown and they are hunting for pieces of their mag.

It only makes sense to load 9 major for Open Division, all other divisions 9 mm is scored minor. Steel matches all minor, IDPA minor.

You can ask, no fowl no harm, just thought that 9 major has been pretty well beat to death, and you should also get several inputs on a load that agree before diving in and blowing out. Short 9 major loads short being less that 1.165 w/ RN jacketed bullet can and will pressure spike, so due caution is advised.

Get some N320 124/125gr and enjoy some good minor loads.

As with any forum there is only so much new info. I am trying to engage some conversation. Seems like that's the point of a forum. So I don't get why I need to hear comment like a thing called search or beating a subject to death.

I may be able to help you out soon. I just picked up an Open 9Major G34 (for the wife) and I'm starting to load up some rounds. Although my loads for my STI's are very high (8.5 HS6, SPM, MG 124 in a TruBor, 2 popple, 170 PF), I am sure they will not hold up in the G34. I have a buddy of mine who told me he is at 7.7 HS6 with a 124 in his Open Glock but don't quote me on that yet. I will ask him again soon and then report back what I find works in this Open pistol. I also have a KKM with the SJC comp so we will see how it goes...

Just curious, are going to make this an Open project or you just want to shoot some high power stuff?

Open project. Started with a 35 then converted to 9mm. Was told by Sjc it was a bad Idea to shoot major through a conversion barrel. I'm buying a 17 and swapping all my current stuff over To it. I'm getting there I just threw a gun together with no experience in this sport. Would love to get a Sti but can't yet. Hopefully some day soon.

I add my humble opinion that attempting to go 9 major in a Glock 34 is not a great idea. I will also say that you would be hard pressed to find better observations and experience with it than Cocobolo. Good luck

A glock or glock 34?

I may be able to help you out soon. I just picked up an Open 9Major G34 (for the wife) and I'm starting to load up some rounds. Although my loads for my STI's are very high (8.5 HS6, SPM, MG 124 in a TruBor, 2 popple, 170 PF), I am sure they will not hold up in the G34. I have a buddy of mine who told me he is at 7.7 HS6 with a 124 in his Open Glock but don't quote me on that yet. I will ask him again soon and then report back what I find works in this Open pistol. I also have a KKM with the SJC comp so we will see how it goes...

Just curious, are going to make this an Open project or you just want to shoot some high power stuff?

Thank you very much for you info.

Dlsvt - My appologies for being a bit crass. Seem like some posts try to put as little information as possible when starting, aka ALAP. So if it had had all the facts at the start it is like a whole nother animal.

I've been told to use search many times, and being a 35+ year IT professional, I still can't find what I'm looking for. You know with search less is more well it always seems to be not enough or too much.

I've not had my powder therapy in 4 weeks, today I get to shoot a match, my Dr gave me permission, so I will return this afternoon a kinder Coco.

Best of luck with your Glock project, I've seen a few Glock open guns, they come and go, most seem to have more than their fair share of problems. I did get beat by one in a Major Steel Match, in the 18th round of Man on Man shoot offs Semi-Final, I lost to the the guy with the Glock. It is the only Glock I've seen run all day long and it was an 700 round day.

I'm not an S_I biggot, I'd love to have one of those CZ open guns, but like most old timers I like steel and a hammer.

Ron

Dlsvt - My appologies for being a bit crass. Seem like some posts try to put as little information as possible when starting, aka ALAP. So if it had had all the facts at the start it is like a whole nother animal.

I've been told to use search many times, and being a 35+ year IT professional, I still can't find what I'm looking for. You know with search less is more well it always seems to be not enough or too much.

I've not had my powder therapy in 4 weeks, today I get to shoot a match, my Dr gave me permission, so I will return this afternoon a kinder Coco.

Best of luck with your Glock project, I've seen a few Glock open guns, they come and go, most seem to have more than their fair share of problems. I did get beat by one in a Major Steel Match, in the 18th round of Man on Man shoot offs Semi-Final, I lost to the the guy with the Glock. It is the only Glock I've seen run all day long and it was an 700 round day.

I'm not an S_I biggot, I'd love to have one of those CZ open guns, but like most old timers I like steel and a hammer.

Ron

I didn't put any info. I understand what you are saying and appreciate you writing back. I am literally brand new to this sport and will take any advice you ever offer.

By the way I like your comment about powder therapy!

Daniel

I just worked up a 9major load in a SJC G17, and in a buddies Lone Wolf G34 with carver comp it shot about 40fps faster.

So far my load looks like this, 170-173PF in SJC G17, probably 178PF in a G34

124rn Berrys at 1.155-1.160

8gr HS6

FC brass

CCI SP or SR didn't notice much difference between them, and neither had any flattening. In my rifle loads I would look for cratering, but I don't know how that would look like in a Glock since they leave their mark on factory loads. Can't look for ejector marks like on a AR15 either.

Any case I would talk to the other open shooters at your local match. It appears that many feel that if there is no chrono then major is 155. :( "Only running to that PF is much safer and easier on their guns and brass."

ETA COAL

Edited by ziebart

I load HS6 with Precision Delta 124 fmj but my open gun is a Para with a STI Tubor. I

load 7.8 HS6 loaded out to 1.170 OAL. This is probably too long for your Glock.

PF runs around 171.

Craig

The Glock stamp defiantly makes it hard to see the primer. Ever use any cast swc?

Yes I loaded Wideners 122 hard cast SWC, in my CZ75. Won't be loading any more though. Bullet lube was excessive and would build up in seating die. Also I want only 2 9mm loads a production and open major load. I think the 124 Berry's are going to give me that.

If you were thinking of loading lead in your open gun at major velocities, don't. Don't know if it would hold together, but even if it did the leading on your comp would be horrendous.

The Glock stamp defiantly makes it hard to see the primer. Ever use any cast swc?

Yes I loaded Wideners 122 hard cast SWC, in my CZ75. Won't be loading any more though. Bullet lube was excessive and would build up in seating die. Also I want only 2 9mm loads a production and open major load. I think the 124 Berry's are going to give me that.

If you were thinking of loading lead in your open gun at major velocities, don't. Don't know if it would hold together, but even if it did the leading on your comp would be horrendous.

Ok thanks

Well....because this is a forum and we are sharing onfo this is what I know. 40/9 kkm G22 yealds this.. 7.0gr hs6/124gr rn@1.155 1278fps, 7.5gr hs6/124gr rn 1310fps, 8.0gr hs6 1341 fps. The 8.0 makes major by 10.3548387fps if my bullets are exactly 124grns. I have primers (win sp)starting to get flat and no case signs. The primers do not "flow out" with this load. All this data is a 15 shot average with my barrel and my crimp straight "crimp". ymmv