Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SG shell carry

Hello. I'll be starting 3 gun this year. I am likely going to get a dump pouch for carrying my shotgun shells. I am going to install a 6 or 8 shell side saddle carrier, and then carry shells in the pouch. How many shells am I likely going to need to carry? Mostly bird shot? On average, how many buck or slug? Thanks.

Loading will be very slow from a pouch. I couldn't imagine how much so. My first match I had a pair of Carbon Arms FSL 12 units on my belt. My local match had a long, all-shotgun stage that needed, at minimum, 22 birdshot on that stage. If you missed, or the plates were hard to knock over (like they were that Saturday), then you'd be out of ammo soon. From what I see (as in read), the vast majority of shotgun is birdshot. A much smaller fraction with slugs. Buckshot seems to be a recent addition to matches. But again, that's coming second hand from others. My local match had only birdshot and a few slugs over the course of the day.

I'm not very experienced, so I look forward to other comments for you.

Edited by michael1778

Typical local matches will have shotgun stages ranging from round counts of 4 or 5 up to 20ish at the high end. Most of these will be birdshot targets. I've found that at matches, slugs will typically make up only about 5-15% of your overall shotgun target composition.

What I've learned (from someone who's been shooting a lot longer than me), is that you want to carry shells at least equal to the number of targets on the stage, with the rounds that start in your gun as extra/room for failure. So if there is a 20 round stage, you should in theory be carrying 20 rounds plus your gun.

Loading from a pouch is slow, laborious, and can suck if you have slugs to shoot too. But if your just starting out, go check it out with what you got.

Have Fun cheers.gif

Everyone on here ( including myself ) will tell you to shoot with what you have to start out until you see how everyone else is doing it, so you can get an idea what's going to work for you. With that being said, loading from a dump pouch will suck balls!! It will be very difficult and slow. Had a friend trying it one time and stuck a shell into his tube backwards in the middle of a stage!! How ya think that worked out for him?? If your going to be shooting with more experienced friends, I'm sure someone will let you borrow shell caddies or bandoleers. Even if you don't shoot with friends.. Pretty much anyone I shoot with will let you borrow something to use, especially if you let them know it's your first time, so don't be afraid to ask.

Edited by ChandlerSniper158

Started Cowboy Action with a dump type pouch and is was VERY frustrating. I'd invest in an inexpensive bandoleer at a minimum. I am using my CAS shot-shell belt right now (looks like a bandoleer worn around the waist), but am finding that it has a tendency to disengage the safety on my pistol :sick:

Best bet is to go and see if others will let you try what they are using and then purchase what works best for you.

Guys, thanks a bunch for the info. I'd love to get some good belt caddy's, but I need to watch the budget for now. I figured, as you guys have said, that I'll need to get there and see what others are doing/using and then decide on what will work for me. It is the same as when I first started IDPA. Unfortunately, I have no like minded friends (firearms wise) who share my enthusiasm for shooting sports. Nor do they even own their own firearms, so I'm winging it solo.

If you need some caddies.. I have some I don`t use anymore. Let me know what kind of budget your working with, I`m sure we can get ya hooked up. I have 3 Cali Competition Works 6 rd, 2 Choate 6 rd and 1 Cali Competition Works 4 rd. If your interested shoot me a PM.

Edited by ChandlerSniper158