Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harbor Freight tumbler?

Went to harbor freight, the pictures lied, it a little bitty thing, I like a nice size tumbler like the Lymann 2500, so I think I will tear it down and get a motor for it some where, maybe Kawasaki, or something tim the tool man would be proud of.

my 2 yr old,lyman 2500 just crapped out..motor runs then stops,then slowly dies...feel like a bearing locking up

• 1 year later...

I have had the small one since they came out years ago, it fell off the bench and broke the the disk. I just bought a new one, till I can get around to making a new plate. New one is a little more noisy the the old one. The wing nit loosened up and wore off some threads. I drop a nut over the shaft and another fender washer to tighten it up. The bowl lid is a little finicky when you put it on as the new gasket aren't as thick as the old ones. Even with the lid off filled 3/4's full of media and 200 5.56/.223 or 500 9mm with the nufinish car polish not much media gets out of the bowl.

A lot of the problems with the vibrator tumblers is people tend to fill them up with to many items and media. The point of having a vibrator type is the material and items need to have room to move around to effect the cleaning action. The material comes cleaner faster, with less in the bowl.

Secondly I found that if your unit no matter what brand is moving. It is due to the screws holding everything together becoming loose. Locite them up, Go to the horrible fright's tumbler page and download the instructions and parts list. I will also say that there are no parts available other than the bowl gasket sometimes.

Buying the warranty is a good deal as you take it back and get a new one before it expires.

Book mark this site for Harbor Freight coupons including 25% off ones till Aug and all the assorted free ones. http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

part 2 of the saga, I ran 600 more yesterday and had the lid come loose once more. I packed it in for the night, I reloaded it this morning about 6:00am this morning. Went down to change it around, as I came off the stairs I watched as the lid was flung off the threaded shaft at a high rate of spinning speed and bounced of the band saw!

I emptied it and cleaned it up reboxed it. Took it back with receipt to the HF store, (3 miles one way) and exchanged it for another one. Since the hole in the lid now was 1/2" dia and the threads were worn off on the shaft.

Only had it since June 27 If you keep the receipt you can exchange or refund with in 90 days. They exchanged it no problem, Will check and see if they put out the return out in the "as is" and buy it for the part I need for my old one. The one I took back must have had something work with it as this one is as quite as my old one was.

• 1 month later...

I just took a chance and ordered the HF 18# tumbler. Between the sale and online coupons It will be delivered for a whisker over $130. Lots of decent reviews out there on it.

Figure If I can clean 1000 pieces of 9mm at a time, my needs will be met for a while.