Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major titegroup or hs6

Dlsvt

Titegroup is too fast burning for major loads in 9mm. HS-6, Silhouette, or other slow burning powdes are what you'll want.

There's a bunch of good information in here.

Hello: HS-6 is a great powder for a Glock shooting major in an Open pistol. It gives lots of gas to work the comp and is soft in an open pistol. I have never shot Tite Group in 9mm major and would not want to :surprise: I was using 115 grain bullets in my Glock 17 with 8 grains of HS-6 at 1.140". You will want to start lower at 7.5 grains and chrono. Thanks, Eric

What is your load for Titegroup ?

124 gr fmj with 4.7 gr titegroup

And you are not seeing pressure signs ?

Hodgdon shows a 125gr Sierra with 4.4gr @ 1126 fps as a max load. I guess 4.7 is not all that far but are you getting 1320 + fps from that ? OAL ?

never used a chrono with the 124's. Registered 1280's with the 130 gr with no pressure signs. Took it up to 5.0gr and still no pressure signs and did go over 1300. It was a new chronoy alpha master. hopefully it is reliable.

I'd be worried about having Titegroup and 9 Major in the same sentence. ph34r.gif

I'd love to see some picture of the primer end of a fired case myself.

absolutly. I will post a pic after this weekend. already reloaded. If im doing something unsafe I would love to find out!!

As long as you worked the load up, and it sounds like you did, and you are using a chronograph then I'd say you are doing it the right way but I've never heard of using TG for 9mm major pf loads before.

In 38Super with 125gr JHP and Rifle primers, I managed to accidently load them to 1350fps 5" barrel no ports or comp and the primer looked ill, very ill. The cases were taking a real hiding. In a tapered and smaller case I think you are asking for problems. Sooner rather than later something is going to fail.

In 38Super with 125gr JHP and Rifle primers, I managed to accidently load them to 1350fps 5" barrel no ports or comp and the primer looked ill, very ill. The cases were taking a real hiding. In a tapered and smaller case I think you are asking for problems. Sooner rather than later something is going to fail.

How many grains were you using?

I intended to be using 5.0gr as this was maximum in the Manual. But I loaded a little above that due to an error in the set up of my balance beam scales, which I would rather not admit. Suffice to say the load was about 1/2 a grain out. This generated pressure that was above what the primer could stand and the primer pockets were very loose on brass that had been fired twice previous, case head expenasion was clearly visible.

I have had excellent results with TG and 125gr JHP over the years and was experimenting with hotter loads to see what we could achieve accuracy wise. That gun shot better as it got faster, so I was trying to find the balance between accuracy and control.

Three rounds were enough to prove that I had neither.

I use 4grains of TG with plated 124s. Through a mistake I set my press to 5 grains once by accident... I use a bone stock M&P pro9. Right off the bat the gun felt "a little snappy" and I thought something was wrong. The gun and myself made it through in one piece. After having to pull 300 rounds of 9mm with 5 grains of TG in them I wrote the Correct load on the wall behind the press...