Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Dawg Steel Match load

glocklover

O.K. I need some help. I'm trying to deciede what load to take to the Big Dawg Steel match. Last year I had a problem with the plates not falling on a few stages. I was shooting a pf of 140ish. What is your favorite 9mm load?

O.K. I need some help. I'm trying to deciede what load to take to the Big Dawg Steel match. Last year I had a problem with the plates not falling on a few stages. I was shooting a pf of 140ish. What is your favorite 9mm load?

For knock down steel plates/poppers 147 grn. at 132/135 power factor will take them down even with edge hits. As long as the steel is caliberated right. (125 power factor) HEAVY slow bullets work for me.

Edited by sweetback

• 1 month later...

Last year the tombstones were very hard to put down. I brought my 9 major loads just for them. The chickens are always tough but they are very deceptive. You need to hit them high in the back or in the head. any lower and they just set there and look at you.

Keep Shootin'

Bruce

Yeah, I always enjoy the Big Dawg match, but I find that issue pretty frustrating. There is no reason why any target should fail to fall with a 140 PF load. I broke out some +P+ carry loads for the tombstones, and that helped, but there are also a couple of chickens that don't go over consistently. I also don't like seeing spray lube applied just after a squad walks off the bay.....

Bring a major gun with a big magazine. I brought a 9mm last year and it didn't work.

I won't be in the region this year so I can't shoot the match. But if I did, I'd bring a .40, and I'd bring some of my limited ammo.

• 2 months later...

there are only two stages that are marginal the chickens and the tombstones. The tombstones i shoot two shots on plate one and then 1 shot per plate afterwards. If you get good solid hits the tombstones are fine, people unload a whole magazine on the stage and when they are done my times are always faster. The chickens are just random not sure how to explain it. I shoot around 131 pf and I might have to hit one or two again in the course of four runs I think.