Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SAIGA 12 feeding problem / need help

RePete68

Need some help Saiga experts! I'm having failure to feeds in my R & R Saiga. 4 - 5 FTF every 100 rounds or so. The nose of the shot shell hits the barrel extension (see pics) causing the malf. How can I fix this problem? I little history on the gun first. This gun was not built by R & R, but it uses all their parts they offer & has all the commonly known tricks & mods. Gun has two mid barrel comps. I am running two 14 lb. 1911 recoil springs. Mags are the 12 round SGM Tactical mags from R&R. I have had this same type of FTF with all types of ammo Estate, Federal, Winchester AA & also with different mags. This is a newer gun build & I am so close to getting it to run 100%. I don't want to give up yet!

post-11352-0-10218600-1332357312_thumb.j

post-11352-0-48206100-1332357324_thumb.j

That portion of the barrel needs to be welded up and extended back so the shells can't catch on it

I was afraid of that answer. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but don't want to have to pull the barrel off the gun. One step forward & two back. LOL

That portion of the barrel needs to be welded up and extended back so the shells can't catch on it

I was afraid of that answer. I was kinda thinking the same thing, but don't want to have to pull the barrel off the gun. One step forward & two back. LOL

Give Robert a call and see if he would weld it up for you for a few bucks. I have one of the original R&R Saigas (the 2008 Shot Show Gun) and he did the mod on mine in just a few minutes. Biggest cost will be shipping. The other thing that I have found that affects this is the amount of fore and aft wiggle in the mags. I had a pair of older ones that I put together with an Arredondo coupler and they started doing the same thing even with the hood extension. Turns out they had just enough play to rock the bottom of the mag forward and the shells would catch on the hood once or twice a mag, but only with both mags loaded.

Doug

RePete68,

I had the same problem with my Saiga 12, I was also thinking to weld the Barrel but found a kit at Carolina Shooters Supply "SAIGA 12 RELIABILITY KIT" this solved the problem.

The kit comes with a softer recoil spring that I think makes a real difference.

My guess is that sometimes the bolt short strokes and gets a new round out of the mag but not at the correct angle and the round dives in to the barrel. I might be wrong but the kit worked for me

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-967/Saiga-12-low-brass/Detail

Good Luck