Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First reloads down range!

PatUSAF

So this past weekend I had a chance to fire off about 350 hand loads, which were a first for me. I just started reloading it the past month and after making the initial purchase on all the material and machinery (if you want to call it that!) It was great to see how these rounds worked.

I used VV N320 powder, which by the way is awesome stuff, no smoke (when using jacketed bullets) and very clean burning stuff, even though its a bit pricey, I think I'll keep this around for a while.

I tried to get a small scattering of bullets to test

Hornaday 115 & 124 FMJ RN's

Berrys 124 FP's

Delco 147 Lead FP's (local gun shop in PA that makes their own)

To start off with the 147 lead rounds, I now know what everyone was talking about when they say lead bullets are smokey, not horrible since I was outside but man those things smoke pretty good. But overall I liked the load, I had about 3.2grains of the N320 so it made for a soft load.

The 115 & 124 FMJ RN's weren't too bad, I had 4.3gr behind the 115's & 4.1gr behind the 124's. These were just ok, the accuracy didn't please me at about 15-20 yard distance, only decent groups with my M&P9 pro.

I really enjoyed the Berry's 124 plated FP's I had 4.2 grains behind this and they were great, really good grouping and not too bad on the recoil, I was worried with these and the Lead FP's in that I thought they were going to have some issues with feeding if I didn't get the OAL right, I did the barrel test and actually had the Lead rounds a bit snug in the barrel but it wasn't touching the rifling so I figured go for it and see what happens. I wasn't pleasantly surprised in the performance of the loads, no FTE's or FTF's on 350+ shots, nothing jammed, not misfires all in all a great day at the range.

Being a crazy anal-retentive type person I may have gone a bit overboard in my accuracy with my charges....measuring every 5th or so on my single stage press but it seemed to work out well for me. I like the fact that you can put your own ideas (somewhat) and own work into ammo and it works just fine.....I think the lady of the house was happy to hear that I did'nt kill myself or lose a finger too!

Now its on to bigger and better things, I just cleaned all my empty brass in my new ultrasonic cleaner and I really don't understand why others don't get on board with those! You would think the cleanliness of the brass after ultrasonic cleaning would get people here excited....I know it does for me! I love shiny primer pockets, I bought some once fired and tumbled brass from a local supplier before I got my cleaner (I don't have a tumbler) and I had to scrape out all the pockets and after reloading those my hands were filthy compared to when I reloaded my ultrasonic brass...what a difference!

I may just buy a tumbler for shining the loaded brass, but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone on here for having such a good resource for people like myself!

Isn't it a rush when you pull the trigger on the first round you ever loaded? When it went bang instead of boom I was very excited. I was very careful in the loading but as they say - the proof is in the pudding...

Congrats!

Chris

cleaned all my empty brass in my new ultrasonic cleaner I love shiny primer pockets, I bought some once fired and tumbled brass and I had to scrape out all the pockets and after reloading those my hands were filthy I may just buy a tumbler for shining the loaded brass,

Pat, a few thoughts:

1. if you get into it, buy some MG bullets in quantity

2. no reason to clean primer pockets for pistols

3. No real reason to tumble loaded brass

4. If you start loading more ammo than you have time for,

consider buying a Dillon Square Deal - will pump out

200 - 250 completed rounds per hour:)

5. You might want to think about spending $70 for a Chrony -

see how fast your reloads are going..

Good luck,

Jack

cleaned all my empty brass in my new ultrasonic cleaner I love shiny primer pockets, I bought some once fired and tumbled brass and I had to scrape out all the pockets and after reloading those my hands were filthy I may just buy a tumbler for shining the loaded brass,

Pat, a few thoughts:

1. if you get into it, buy some MG bullets in quantity

2. no reason to clean primer pockets for pistols

3. No real reason to tumble loaded brass

4. If you start loading more ammo than you have time for,

5. You might want to think about spending $70 for a Chrony -

see how fast your reloads are going..

Good luck,

Jack

Jack,

I hear you on all fronts except for maybe the primer pockets

I know its probably not a big deal, I just don't like the idea of dirty nasty pockets getting new shiny primers....I'm crazy like that.

But as for everything else Its definitely a to-do on my list

The chrony is the next purchase, I just bought a tumbler to try out and see how it goes with that. Its going to be a tough sell with the tumbler cause I live in an apartment.

But the MG's are definitely on the purchase list as well as some day buying the Dillon press it was hard to swallow the price of those presses though, I wish there was someone that wanted to sell theirs for cheap! (fat chance there)

Dillons seem much easier to run once they're dialed in and I would love that cause honestly the single stage press gets real old real fast!

Pat

If you want to shoot lead, try one of the polly/molly coated bullets like from Bayou Bullets. I shoot their 147gr FP over N330. It's laser accurate, very clean, little if any smoke and you can't beat the price vs copper coated MGs. Also, I wouldn't worry about your VV powder cost - it's by far the cheapest component in your reloads. Congrats and welcome to the club!

4. If you start loading more ammo ,

Jack,

some day buying the Dillon press it was hard to swallow the price of those presses though, I wish there was someone that wanted to sell theirs for cheap!

Pat, since you have the time (luxury for most people),

start looking - I bet you can find a used Square Deal

in the next six months.

Won't save you a lot, but you should be able to get one

set up to run one caliber for little over $300 used -

you'll already have all the other equipment you need.

People always upgrading:)

Good luck,

Jack

SDB sold for $250 right here two days ago!

SOB!

I would have jumped on that!

Other than the package that Dillon sells on their website, what else is a necessity for that setup to get rolling on 9mm?

Pat

SDB sold for $250

Other than the package that Dillon sells on their website, what else is a necessity for that setup to get rolling on 9mm?

Nothing. You probably already have everything you need

except the Square Deal with 9mm dies. You'll be all

set to go.

Don't worry about what shape it's in - buy it, and Dillon

will fix it for you for FREE:))

If you reload very few rounds a month, or want to put up

with a little more aggravation - there are some Lee reloaders

for small volume work, for less money.

But the Dillon SD has been kind to me:)

Jack

SDB sold for $250

set to go.

Jack

Thats good to hear, case god knows I hate buying equipment, materials I can deal with but buying equipment is annoying....its easier for the ball and chain to complain about! I can hear it now...."what the heck do you need another press thingy for you just bought that red one!!"

• 3 weeks later...

SDB sold for $250

set to go.

Jack

Thats good to hear, case god knows I hate buying equipment, materials I can deal with but buying equipment is annoying....its easier for the ball and chain to complain about! I can hear it now...."what the heck do you need another press thingy for you just bought that red one!!"

Buy any Dillon and don't look back. They may be a bit pricey,but are well worth the money. I have owned 3 and upgraded each time.

I remember those first few shots of my first set of loads...

I had gloves on, shot WHO, "armored" up my neck and tipped my head so that I could barely see under the brim of my cap. Better safe than sorry! :roflol:

MG bullets are brass jacketed, BTW. Well... a lot closer to case brass than most; the majority of companies have SOME zinc in their gilding metal alloy, or so I've been told. True copper jackets are actually the rarity, from what I know.