Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning lube out of your dies?

Cleaning every 100 rounds or so must really slow down production! I had a cast bullet lube problem w/ a particular manufacturer. The lube was dry and clogged the die(s) and made a helluva mess on my floor. Also had a problem with the lube melting in the South Florida heat causing seating problems in my 625 revolver. Solution was simple. I used up the rest of the bullets as practice ammo at an indoor range and sent the bullet maker a detailed explanation of the problem. Response was that nobody else noted a problem and thanked me for the input. Yea, right! I'm the ONLY guy in the world that had the problem. I haven't been back. Changed to another maker using "Red Rooster" lube instead of "blue something" and have had no further problems with cast bullets.

Short solution - don't use components that cause a problem. Too many manufactures out there with superior product even if it's .00003 cents more expensive. :cheers:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” -John Ruskin

I use mainly cast bullets so about every 100 rounds I clean the lube out of my dies with a bore brush. Just wondering what you use?

If you need to clean that often you need to find another brand. I load thousands of lead bullets without the need to clean the dies.

I load quite a bit of lead, but not all. I generally only clean my dies every 10k rounds or so. I usually use brake cleaner, seems to really cut through the lead lube.

I would be afraid the brake cleaner would strip all the oils off and tend to lead to rusting.

I tend to pull mine apart and clean with the correct size bore snake. Same one I use on the guns.

I load quite a bit of lead, but not all. I generally only clean my dies every 10k rounds or so. I usually use brake cleaner, seems to really cut through the lead lube.

I would be afraid the brake cleaner would strip all the oils off and tend to lead to rusting.

I tend to pull mine apart and clean with the correct size bore snake. Same one I use on the guns.

Heh, maybe I also should have added in my lubing procedure, after cleaning the lead wax and crap out of the dies with brake cleaner, I usually give them a squirt of silicone spray before re-assembling. I live in a pretty dry area, so even without the lube there isn't much risk for rusting.

Heh, maybe I also should have added in my lubing procedure, after cleaning the lead wax and crap out of the dies with brake cleaner, I usually give them a squirt of silicone spray before re-assembling. I live in a pretty dry area, so even without the lube there isn't much risk for rusting.

Makes sense to me.

I just replaced my old rusted RCBS dies on the .45 tool head for a brand new set of dillon this week. I didn't treat the 30 year old dies very well at all.

• 2 weeks later...