Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi from Florida

Jamie

Got some reloading equipment for Christmas, Lee 4 hole Turret press, so far so good, after a few oops, got some ammo reloaded, 9mm and .38 special, all went bang AND all the guns still work! My first 'efforts' were LRN, 115gr for the 9mm. Quickly found out loaded at the recommended OAL of 1.125", (this number was the best I could find initally), they wouldn't 'ker plunk' into the chamber of my Kel Tec PF9. After trying several things, (including crimping it into a useless piece), 'painted' the end of the bullet with a marker, thumbed it into the chamber and found out the problem, too damn long. Finally when shortened to about 1.100" it went in. I settled on 1.095", loaded up 50, feeling pretty good about life when the thought hit, "what has the shorter length done to things?". Decided not to shoot those, didn't want to waste them, 'discovered' a bullet puller. Got good info from Lyman which was 5.0gr of Power Pistol @ 1.060", since I was longer started at 5.2gr which so far has worked well. Went through similar with the wife's .38 special, loaded using 6.0gr Power Pistol, (not a lot of info initially found for this combo), ended up buying some Bullseye, plenty of info for that, (turns out the Power Pistol rounds would have been safe, a bit 'snappy' but safe, didn't want to take any chances, my first efforts AND the wife's gun). Waiting on an order from Precision Delta, ordered 1,000 9mm 124gr JHP, trying to find out how well they expand, bought mainly for practice, but if they expand decently, I'll stash a bunch for SHTF times when legal issues won't be too important. Looking for an M&P9 for the wife, we are both looking to check out IDPA, she's good with the snubbie but want's something better suited. I have a S&W Sigma so we will both be able to shoot two classes.

Hello from Texas. Welcome to the forum and the exciting world of reloading. Don't hesitate to ask for advice as everything you are doing has been done lots of times before. :)

George