Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel change on 625?

twister

Would it be possible to change the barrel on a 625 Performance center gun to a 5"? With the barrel being set back the way it is,I don't know if it's something a gunsmith would want to do. Any help is appreciated, Dave

If you don't use the correct frame wrench you will twist the frame. There is a different one for each size. You can put the barrel in a vise with hardwood or plastic blocks, be careful to not bend the front sight.

Lining up the barrel to frame can be a little fiddly. A little off one way or the other can make the rear sight almost all the way to one side. For some reason it seems easier to tell if the front sight is straight when looking from the front sight to the rear sight as opposed to looking rear to front.

Edited by Toolguy

Would it be possible to change the barrel on a 625 Performance center gun to a 5"? With the barrel being set back the way it is,I don't know if it's something a gunsmith would want to do. Any help is appreciated, Dave

Twister

I would trust Warren on this one. Not hard, but you definitely need the right tools or a whole bunch of good luck. Cheaper to pay to have one done than to buy the wrench. Of course, if you are doing more than one tool cost amortizes quickly.

No need to be afraid of this job.

I can get one from Speed shooters. I was worried about the barrel set back.

Yeah, everybody better hold the phone here.

The 625PCs, with their shortened cylinders, require a completely different set-back than "regular" 625 barrels, like the 5" tubes they stock at SSS. You could make it work, but you're going to be doing significant work to set back the shoulder, and the ejector rod and centerpin will need to be shortened also. This is not a drop-in proposition by any means.

my big question here is is there a huge difference in the 5 inch and 4 inch barrel? I know sight radius and probably a little softer shooting but my 4 inch barrel is deadly accurate and fast when i do my job so it it really worth it or is it worth it to get great with what ya got.

my big question here is is there a huge difference in the 5 inch and 4 inch barrel? I know sight radius and probably a little softer shooting but my 4 inch barrel is deadly accurate and fast when i do my job so it it really worth it or is it worth it to get great with what ya got.

Every serious shooter I know who has shot a 4" 625 in Revo Division at big USPSA matches has eventually gravitated to a 5" (or longer) barrel. You wouldn't think one inch of barrel would be any big deal, but there is a significant difference in handling and recoil control.

very cool thanks for the info mike do you know if the 625 jm will accept a standard 5 inch barrel or is the cylinder the same as the PC guns.

yes, will accept, but factory new barrel is light owersized at the cylinder side

Edited by 4mike

• 1 month later...