Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both eyes open breakthrough

KungFuNerd

I've been spending some time on shooting with both eyes OPEN...no squinting/ blinking the non dominant eye etc.

First step was correcting my vision so I can see the sight.

I need reading glasses type magnification.

The Drill:

Using an Airsoft pistol....

I throw a couple of Tennis Balls (the bright color makes them easy to learn the sight picture) out in my back yard.

Stare at the target with both eyes completely open.

Push the sights into my vision plane without moving my eyes or head AT ALL and fire.

mostly shooting from Low Ready.

I've been doing 100-200 Reps at a time every day.

It's getting easy now.

Of course you can do this Dryfire but the Blowback of the Slide and the confirmation of the Hit makes using Airsoft valuable to me.

I've been spending some time on shooting with both eyes OPEN...no squinting/ blinking the non dominant eye etc.

First step was correcting my vision so I can see the sight.

I need reading glasses type magnification.

The Drill:

Using an Airsoft pistol....

I throw a couple of Tennis Balls (the bright color makes them easy to learn the sight picture) out in my back yard.

Stare at the target with both eyes completely open.

Push the sights into my vision plane without moving my eyes or head AT ALL and fire.

mostly shooting from Low Ready.

I've been doing 100-200 Reps at a time every day.

It's getting easy now.

Of course you can do this Dryfire but the Blowback of the Slide and the confirmation of the Hit makes using Airsoft valuable to me.

Tips on which Airsoft pistol to buy for this? I don't know squat about airsoft and might possibly like to get one so I can practice. I plan on using a G34 in Production and would like to stick with the same platform if available.

I just took an advanced class and this is what they taught with one thing to add. As you bring the sights into your vision plane transition your vision to hard focus on the front sight. Other than that you are there. I'm learning the two eyes open thing too, been struggling with it for years and just now having some success.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread, but it intrigues me, as I have a really hard time keeping both my eyes open, as well.

You said something here I've never heard said before. The mantra is always, "focus on the front sight." But you're saying focus on the target, until you bring the sights into view, then switch focus to the front sight? How's the work for follow-up shots or transitions to secondary targets?

I'll have to try some practice reps like this.

• 5 months later...

I focus on where I want the shot to hit(preferable the A zone) then I bring the sights to that spot. Second shot is just call your shot.

I have found that trying to squint one eye always had me blinking. Makes sense as my other eye wasn't fully open anyways.

So I'm on this same path of trying to keep both eyes open. But I still have to tape my glasses on the left side. I have not been able to, for the life of me, shoot with both eyes open with no tape. Especially in a match. I get crazy double vision and have to squint my left eye just to finish the match.

Another thing to help keep both eyes open is to double plug. Ie earplugs and muffs. That will remove any subconscious reaction to the sound of the gun.

For me,

I like both eyes open because;

If I squint one eye the other eye never is fully open. I'm just not a good "one eye squinter".

I lack peripheral vision with one eye open.

Going back and forth from both eyes open to one eye open is distracting.

Squinting one eye is tiring on my face. Gives me a headache by the end of the day.

Keep in mind I'm doing this for IPSC. If I were just hanging out shooting groups... squinting one eye works fine.

I would agree with psynapse. Shooting with both eyes open gives me a better ability to transition and keep some situational awareness. If I try to use just one I cannot get around the targets as fast. The peripheral vision really helps me especially to find the next target. The longer shots however can get tricky. I think even some of the top end guys close an eye for that.

Thanks Steve.

You are correct.

Now I have to 'decide to do it' firing Rifle.

The bang of the recoil spring makes me blink.

Funny because I can keep both eyes open with a 12Ga pump :)

To stop the blink, try a trick i developed several years ago. Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth as you shoot. That will stop the blink by distracting the subconscious.

Thanks Steve.

You are correct.

Now I have to 'decide to do it' firing Rifle.

The bang of the recoil spring makes me blink.

Funny because I can keep both eyes open with a 12Ga pump :)

It's not the bang of the recoil spring which causes you to blink it is the overpressure impacting your face & eyes. Try holding your eyes forcefully open. You can experiment by covering your face or head and you'll see that you won't blink.

• 1 year later...

I have also found focusing on the target works best, for me at least. Generally my focus is on whatever I'm shooting, and I can kind of see it through the front sight since with both eyes open it is somewhat opaque and in my lower peripherals, if that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the benefit of having both eyes open? If you're putting all of this time into developing this ability, what benefit are you seeing from it?

This was part of my question, so I'll ask it a little differently:

Do those of you that shoot with BOTH eyes open feel there is a difference in *accuracy* on a single target (like bulls eye pistol), or is the benefit just allowing you to get to the NEXT target quicker?

Uh...your supposed to focus on front sight not target....that's what ive always heard.....

But I actually use a hard target focus out to about 15 yards....past that I use a hard front sight focus.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Someone asked what type of airsoft pistol would be good for practicing with both eyes open. I think a CO2 operated airsoft is better than spring loaded. The CO2 will cycle the pistol, whereas the spring loaded models I'm aware of do not. I've been practicing keeping both eyes open, and found a good deal on a CO2 airsoft. Tried finding one that appeared like what I'm familiar with, but wound up settling on something that worked, was reasonably priced, and fit a holster I had.