Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buy 5" Complete Slide for STI?

STI91

I have a STI 4.15 Tactical that I would like to turn into a 5" gun for Limited. What are my best options? I considered trading the complete gun, buying a Caspian slide with the stirrup and having it built, or trying to buy a top end already complete. Trying to find the best compromise between cost and performance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Building or buying a new gun is usually the best value for your dollar.

You can have a smith put a new topend on it as well if you like the idea of two different top ends. A large part of the labor in a build is in the top end and fitting it to the frame, so be ready for a little sticker shock.

I have a STI 4.15 Tactical that I would like to turn into a 5" gun for Limited. What are my best options? I considered trading the complete gun, buying a Caspian slide with the stirrup and having it built, or trying to buy a top end already complete. Trying to find the best compromise between cost and performance. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I don't think the factory sells a complete conversion slide but they have several large dealers who might go that way. It's all about the fit to frame thing. What if the 4.15 slide doesn't fit as well after the long slide is fitted? What if the smith wants to weld and refit? Tangfolio Elite Gold Teams are built to swap all factory caliber conversion upper kits onto one frame. I would think their fitment tolerances are much greater to do the swap trick the what your current gun has now? Always a trade off!

Any of the builders on this site can fit a slide and barrel(complete top end) to your pistol. I would think you would want to use a unique slide so the smith can match the flutes to your frame. 5in or 6in your choice. I would recomend Benny Hill of Triangle Shootind Sports for this job. Benny builds quite a few pistols with two top ends and Triangle is the home of the 6in fat free. Give him a call, 361 241 1091. Fair price, quick turnaround and excelent work.---------Larry