Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want a frame. Buy a frame or a whole gun and sell half?

cas

I'm thinking of starting a long thought about project and I'm not sure how to start.

I will need a complete lower half and will be buying an aftermarket slide and barrel.

So my options are;

1. Buy just a lower half. (and everything else I will need)

2. Buy a complete gun and sell the top half. (then buy everything else I will need)

3. Buy a complete gun and sell the factory slide and barrel and use everything else.

I was just wondering if anyone's done this lately and had any advice which way to go. Money saved Vs. pain in the butt. :D

If you did it one way, would you do it another if given the choice?

I'm thinking of starting a long thought about project and I'm not sure how to start.

I will need a complete lower half and will be buying an aftermarket slide and barrel.

So my options are;

1. Buy just a lower half. (and everything else I will need)

2. Buy a complete gun and sell the top half. (then buy everything else I will need)

3. Buy a complete gun and sell the factory slide and barrel and use everything else.

I was just wondering if anyone's done this lately and had any advice which way to go. Money saved Vs. pain in the butt. :D

If you did it one way, would you do it another if given the choice?

I was working on a project gun for my dad a couple of years ago and settled on purchasing an STI Spartan with the idea that I'd complete a caliber conversion because I would be money ahead to buy the gun with all its lower parts installed. I was a couple hundred cheaper to buy the complete gun versus buy separate parts. The funny thing is once I got the gun, Dad decided he wanted the .45 afterall so I had to do was slick up the trigger and buy him some mags.

From my experience in my wonderful home state of CA (and the glorious fees and general nonsense involved in buying guns here), it's almost always cheaper to just buy the gun & sell the upper. Glockmeister sells frames for rediculous prices. most are well over $300 + shipping, and that's IF they're in stock. There is a guy on Glocktalk that sells frames for $170-$180 shipped from time to time. I think he goes by "william_h".

Edited by MEAT

I'm wanting to put together a 6" 10mm (why ai have no idea lol, a fun gun, maybe some woods use, nothing competition related).

I know why...

IMG_4635.jpg

If you end up buying a G20, you should have no problem getting $300+ for the complete upper. Hell, I've been half a$$ looking for a spare G20 upper, so I might even buy it from you.

Edited by MEAT

Which slide did you use? And if it's a LW, open top or not? That's another internal debate I'm having.

I'm running the G20LS (solid top) now, but I started with the G20L open top. I got the G20L first to have the option of running a ported barrel, but I can't see any reason to do that now. The G20L slide had an out of spec dovetail, so I had it exchanged with the solid top. I load some ridiculously hot 10mm & 9x25 Dillon, so the extra mass helps slow the slide down and keep it locked up longer. That way the case stays supported longer, and it doesn't chuck the brass across the country. I wouldn't think twice about getting the solid top, especially if you're not planning on using it for competition. I'm wasn't really comfortable doing my own smithing, so I sent my frame to LWD and had them fit everything in their shop. It runs 100% now, from a 180gr JHP @ 950fps to a 200gr WFNGC @ 1360fps.

I was thinking the solid top was the way to go, for more mass, for looks and to not be a spot for "dust" to collect. (dirt, mud, snow)

Of course they're saying they won't have any till some time in May.

I was thinking the solid top was the way to go, for more mass, for looks and to not be a spot for "dust" to collect. (dirt, mud, snow)

Of course they're saying they won't have any till some time in May.

While I hope for your sake that's true, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. When I bought mine last January, their site said the expected delivery date was mid February. Fast forward to May, and I finally had mine in hand. It was well worth the wait, but it was INSANELY annoying doing the "2 more weeks" dance for over 3 months. Good luck, and be sure to give us a report when you get it all put together.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to help. It's always nice to see another 10mm enthusiast!

Edited by MEAT

I almost have more interest in that than I do the 10mm. lol

What's your POA/POI difference between the two?

My brief experience with a SIG in 40/357SIG left me less than thrilled.

I almost have more interest in that than I do the 10mm. lol

What's your POA/POI difference between the two?

My brief experience with a SIG in 40/357SIG left me less than thrilled.

I haven't had time to play with it too much for accuracy testing, but I've done a fair amount of load development. I also have a Dawson adjustable rear, so if I encounter a drastic change in POI, I can make adjustments accordingly. Just screwing around at the local indoor range, surprisingly POA/POI @ 10yds has been virtually identical. That's shooting 10mm 180gr JHP's @ 1300fps & 9x25 Dillon 90gr XTP's @ 2050fps. I'm sure that will probably change when shooting from a rest @ 25yds+ though.