Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st time to use a chronograph

I used a chrony alpha master for the first time and about once every 10-15 shots i would get a really low number. I was shooting very consistent numbers the rest of the time. Is this normal? any suggestions?

I used a chrony alpha master for the first time and about once every 10-15 shots i would get a really low number. I was shooting very consistent numbers the rest of the time. Is this normal? any suggestions?

I have same problem - otherwise it's a great chrono.

It has to do with lighting - I shoot in the shade

(not direct sunlight) - that helps but not 100%.

I've read that if you're using shiny bullets (MG)

you can put some black ink on the bullet before

you fire it over the Chrony - the sensor will "see"

the bullet better.

Could also be because of distance from muzzle to

Chrony - I use about 10 -12 feet; anything closer

can affect the velocity displayed.

I just accept the fact that I'll get an occasional

bad reading & rejoice in the good readings :)

Good luck,

Jack

That seems to be well and good for "home use", but if that same chronograph gets volunteered for match use, I think some issues could turn up. I'm not sure if rules allows for the chrono officer or the shooter to ask for a 8th, 9th, 10th, etc. bullet to be fired over the chrono if ever there is a set of "really low number(s)". I do know that the RM can decide to throw the chrono stage out if there are enough malfunctions.

I use a Chrono Pro and I used to get strange readings. Since I bought a set of IR screens my readings have been very consistent. It really comes down to what the eyes see as the bullet passes between it and the screens. When shooting in shadows or direct light even just a cloud passing over can change what the sensors read.

Before I shot my Prochrono digital, I was getting numbers, but they were kind of all over the place. I don't have my numbers with me right now, but ES was anywhere between 50 & 70 fps. It was a cold, overcast day and, as it was my first time using it, so there were a lot of factors playing here.

Best I can tell you is make sure you are lined up for a straight shot over the sensors at a good, consistent height over the chrono.