Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special idpa loads

revarmorer

R-P nickle case

135gr Billy Bullet (sorry, it's moly coated lead)

5.2gr VV-n320

Federal #100 primers

977 fps

around 130 pf, depending on what the bullet actually weighs

This is the load I use for IPSC and ICORE, can't really tell the differance between 125pf and 130pf on recoil, knocks pepper poppers down real well, if it wasn't for crony stages I would probably claim major with this load

I've had good results with this load in both a S&W Model 10 with 4" barrel (for IDPA) and a S&W Model 686 with 6" barrel (for IPSC)

CAUTION: THIS IS A +P LEVEL LOAD

158 grain JHP, Zero bullet, from www.rozedist.com

5.0gr WW231

Federal Small pistol primers OR Winchester Small pistol primers

mixed brass, mostly WW or Federal, either nickel or brass cases

Chrono: around 840 to 860 FPS (lower in the 4" barrel)

Power Factor: At the Buckeye Blast, June 19, 2004 this load gave a PF of 135 out of my S&W Model 686. It is accurate, and does a fine job on plates, poppers, Texas Stars, etc...as long as the loose nut behind the trigger does his part :rolleyes:

It is a clean shooting load, extracting easily from my guns. There is some muzzle flash if you use this load indoors or on a cloudy/overcast day.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Rainier 158 plated round nose with 4.3 gr of TiteGroup and Federal primer. It comfortably makes 127 pf in a 2" Model 10, so you could probably cut it back one or two tenths of a grain for a 4" gun.

Titegroup is the cleanest burning powder I have ever used for 38 special.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just chronoed a heap of loads with a 158 grain Remington JHP. I got 128 pf from 4.8 of winchester 231 but I think I'm going to go with 4.9 for a cushion.

I do believe that is banging on the door of a +P load. Max load in my book was 5.0 grains.

Also tried an AA#5 load that promised 800 fps but ended up being in the very low 700's.

Ted