Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring & Buffer

I received my JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring & Buffer last week. Unlike most new products I test I stuffed this one directly into my match gun and drive two hours both ways to a monthly 3 gun match to test the system. I had quite a bit of confidence in the new system based solely on the company manufacturing it. The new JP Silent Captured Spring & Buffer did not disappoint!

I fired about 75 rounds through my Stag Arms Model 3G at the match. There was a good mix of fast CQB type shooting and slow fire long range shooting. We also saw our fair share of dust and wind. None of it was any trouble for the JP Spring.

When I first installed the new spring into my rifle I remembered that you do not need the buffer retainer for this unit. It will not fly out of the gun without one which is really cool because I know one day during a rifle build or stock change I am going to lose an eye from the buffer retainer pin flying up and hitting me in the face. Installation was quick. I run a stock with a rifle length buffer tube I had to first drop the nylon spacer into the buffer. Getting the new spring kit into the gun would have been mindless had there been no buffer pin in the rifle. But since my rifle still has one I had to do a little wiggling and pushing to get the buffer weights past the pin. It was also easier to install when I took the upper half completely off of the rifle. Once installed, I racked the bolt a few times. WOW, talk about smooth!!! The friction is minimal. It made my current JP Enterprises custom carbine center-less ground and polished operating spring and low mass buffer seem less awesome than they are which is hard to do. The new silent spring setup did feel as though there was more spring tension than my regular JP buffer/spring setup. I would expert John Paul has the spring rate dialed right where it needs to be though as the gun ran like a champ all day.

I had completely forgotten about the fact that I had installed the new system when I broke my first shot at the match. I was shooting prone and my compensator was between a dump barrel and a tree on dry dirt. The compensator immediately created a dust storm in my shooting area and that coupled with this odd quiet smoothness to my rifle had me confused briefly that my rifle might have suffered a malfunction. I didn't feel the bolt stop and my trigger reset so I squeezed off my second round. I was dumbfounded. I typically double plug when I shot utilizing foam ear plugs inside my Peltor Tactical Sport amplified muffs. The 2nd shot it took felt the same and felt and sounded kind of like shooting a suppressed rifle with muffs on. The best way I can think of to explain it is very uneventful. Immediately after the 3rd round I fired I realized what was wrong with my rifle. It was running better than it ever had before!

Here are some cell phone pictures of the system next to the one it is replacing in all of my rifles.

JPBuffer.jpg

The new Silent Spring & Buffer does weigh almost twice what the previous setup weighs as can be seen below. This is about the only downside to the system I found and that is only a negative if you are carrying your rifle all day.

JPCapturedSpringBuffer.jpg

JPLowMassBuffer.jpg

Here is a video from the match this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_c-G0OU5s&context=C3a64059ADOEgsToPDskKkZ4MFFM1Rp5Q4g-zpsved

Very cool write-up, Jesse. I wish I could jump in line for one of these now but I'm going to have to wait until after I pay for my summer classes before spending more moolah. Keep us updated on how it works out for you!

-Clint

Thank you for the write up Jesse. I want one of these things, I hate that spring noise.

The whole assembly might be twice as heavy but the reciprocating mass is the only thing that matters for cycle feel. I take it the spacer, guide rod, and guide rod holder do not move during cycling. Could you please weigh the buffer assy and spring only? I’ll bet it’s similar to the LMOS buffer + spring.

Anyone know when the next batch is going to be ready? I went ahead and put my name down for one after reading somewhere they were not expecting them for a couple of months from now. Probably not a reputable source and I'm going to try giving JP a call to confirm but wanted to see if anyone here had already tried?

CM

Oops I moved the pictures so they aren't in the original post any longer. Here they are again. Someone asked about the weight of the carbine length setup with out the polymer spacer so I added pics of that too.

JPBuffer.jpg

JPCapturedSpringBuffer.jpg

[QuietBufferSpring.jpg

QuietBufferSpring1.jpg

JPLowMassBuffer.jpg

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

• 2 months later...

I own an aluminum carrier but haven't tried it yet. Kurt miller told me its the top fuel dragster of bolt carriers which means I'll probably blow it up on my first trip down the track.

I did just get a .308 captured buffer And it Effin rocks hard!

There is a noticable difference in noise and smoothness of the gun cycling. I doubt you can see it in the sights. I need to do a comparison though. I'd also be curious to see if I can turn the has down any more. My pair of Syrac Ordnance gas blocks will be a perfect way to test that with their distinct 1/4 turn adjustments.

Please keep us informed! I'm real I interested in the system and curious what the difference is.

Good write up as well!

Aust

Front Sight had a good article on it in its latest issue. It is well written. It is tucked in with other items from the Shot Show.

There is a noticable difference in noise and smoothness of the gun cycling. I doubt you can see it in the sights. I need to do a comparison though. I'd also be curious to see if I can turn the has down any more. My pair of Syrac Ordnance gas blocks will be a perfect way to test that with their distinct 1/4 turn adjustments.

Thanks. I was thinking I could live with the noise if that was all the benefit for $100+!

According to JP, the system is optimized for use with a JP Low mass bolt carrier and adjustable gas system, but also works with standard weight components.

For the price, I think I'll stick with what I have unless I was to build a new rifle and then i'd just suck it up and write the check :)

One thing to note is that since its release at the begining of the year, The inventory sells out immediatly. I have not seen one listed as used in the classifieds. Those buying are hanging onto this product.

Shot it a bit today and as an Old Guy I am Very impressed. Think about this, I have been training for the nationals next month with a 1022 rim-fire event small targets shot off hand STC. So I went from shooting a rim fire slow precise shots to shooting my AR.

The Captured Buffer/ spring is way Cool. The gun was not much of stretch from the rim fire. My Ace stock is quite and the gun is much flatter.

I don't always shoot AR my Friend , but when I do it will be JP Silent CSB running

Mine runs fine with the gas set as it was in my .223 and .308. I need to see if I can turn it down though. Need to wait until after Midwest 3 gun to start tweaking stuff though.

Are you running a light bolt carrier in your 308 jesse?

Has anyone using this had to adjust their gas systems or is it a drop-in replacement for the lightweight JP buffer and spring set?

Mine worked right off the bat also. I haven't bothered trying to turn it down because my adjustment screw is only three turns out so I won't be able to turn it down very much anyway.

CM