Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats your breakdown of ammo for a match?

I thought I saw the breakdown of ammo that people take with them to a match but I can't find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks

If I'm driving, I take a minimum of twice the minimum rounds. If there's some reason I have to take less, I still try to take at least half again the minimum rounds.

I thought I saw the breakdown of ammo that people take with them to a match but I can't find it.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please.

Thanks

If I'm driving, I take a minimum of twice the minimum rounds. If there's some reason I have to take less, I still try to take at least half again the minimum rounds.

I get that part of it, but How many pistol, how many rifle, and how many shotgun? ALSO you bring up another question... Is it listed somewhere of how much ammo to bring especially if your traveling?

Thanks

Most larger matches will have round count listed. This goes for 3 guns and pistol matches. That number is if you don't miss. Most people double the round count and bring that. But if your talking about smaller local matches, it depends on the match. Most of the matches we have up here are somewhere in the low 100's. So I will usually bring 2 or 3.

I get that part of it, but How many pistol, how many rifle, and how many shotgun? ALSO you bring up another question... Is it listed somewhere of how much ammo to bring especially if your traveling?

Thanks

Major matches and many local matches post the minimum round count. If not, contact the Match Director and ask. They should be able to give you at least an estimated minimum.

I like to bring:

200 Pistol

200 Rifle

100 Bird

20 Slug

Like previous post it also depends on the match. You should be able to get a shot count from the club website or match website.

I bring this much or more sometimes. I have had mags drop in the mud and don't want to shove dirty ammo in the pistol so I grab another mag out of the bag and load it up. Had a surefire fail on me and when I dropped it out the follower stuck and 40 rounds fell in the mud. I try to double the shot count as well. I may just leave the overages in the truck but if I need them they are there.

As said above, double the advertised round count for any major match, pistol or 3gun. For local matches, it all depends on the match. Usually 200 pistol roudns for a standard USPSA club match has me well covered.

I've been taken by surprise at the local match. Usually a match is about 150 so I bring 250 or 300. End of last summer a match went 250 and I brought 250 so I was sweating it. Now I pack a small ammo can with 500-600 extra so my shooting partner and I have peace of mind.

I have enough mags to shoot a normal match without having to reload on match day and I load those up the day before. Yet just in case I bring along another 100 rounds or so just in case someone got really creative and forgot to notify everyone of an abnormal increase in round count. If I run out I can always run up to the pro shop and buy more ammo. Won't take more than 5 minutes to do so.

Running out of ammo is more embarrassing than someone showing your buddies a naked picture of you after a cold shower, but that's just my opinion

But in reality for 3-gun club matches, if it is a major match double the numbers.

250 55gr rifle

100 77gr rifle

125 Bird

25 Slugs

25 #4 high brass

10 2 3/4 00 Buck

5 3" Magnum 00 Buck (for spinners)

250 Pistol major/minor

50 Pistol- factory 180 Gr federal's or ammo around 175-180 power factor (for Spinners)

Edited by Mbauer67